Ashley Rininger has scored 20+ points in each of Liberty's last three meetings with UNC Asheville.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes
Game Time: 7 p.m. Official Tipoff: 7:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Victoria Wood Halftime/Postgame Reporters: Erin Hagen, Adam Deyo and Heather Stephens
Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WWMC 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Big South-leading Liberty (13-6, 9-1 Big South) will open the second round of conference play Tuesday at 7 p.m. when UNC Asheville (5-14, 4-6 Big South) visits the Vines Center. The Lady Flames won the teams' first meeting this season, 67-55, in Asheville on Dec. 30.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty is seeking its eighth straight home win overall and its eighth consecutive victory over Asheville at the Vines Center. A Lady Flames triumph would mark their 50th all-time win over the Bulldogs and would extend Liberty's streak to 16 consecutive seasons with 10 or more Big South victories.
2) Liberty has played stingy defense in its first five Big South home games this season, all of which have been victories. Conference opponents are averaging 44.8 ppg on 25.7 percent field goal shooting at the Vines Center in 2014-15.
3) The Lady Flames have gotten back to their traditional dominance in rebounding in recent weeks, outrebounding eight straight opponents and grabbing 20+ offensive boards in three of the last four games. Liberty pulled down 40 rebounds to Asheville's 33 boards in the teams' Dec. 30 matchup in Asheville.
4) Ashley Rininger has scored 20+ points in each of her last three meetings with Asheville, including her 22-point, 13-rebound, 4-block effort at Asheville on Dec. 30. She is coming off of a season-high 27-point outburst on 13-of-14 from the field against Campbell.
5) Jaymee Fisher-Davis has provided a spark off the bench, hitting 50 percent (12-of-24) of her three-point tries over the last six games. She tallied 10 points in 17 minutes at Asheville on Dec. 30.
Liberty vs. UNC Asheville At a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 49-8. Current Streak: Liberty has won two consecutive meetings. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 25-2. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won seven consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 67, Asheville 55 (Dec. 30, 2014 at Asheville) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 64, Asheville 49 (Feb. 20, 2014) Asheville's Last Series Victory: Asheville 83, Liberty 80 (OT) (Jan. 18, 2014 at Ashe.) Asheville's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Asheville 54, Liberty 51 (Feb. 24, 2007)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 370-127 (16th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. UNC Asheville: 34-2
UNC Asheville Head Coach: Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick Overall Record (Seasons): 18-62 (Third Season) Record at UNC Asheville (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 1-4
Notes and Anecdotes • Liberty is seeking its 50th all-time victory over UNC Asheville. The Lady Flames have only recorded 50+ victories over two opponents in program history, including Coastal Carolina (53) and Charleston Southern (51).
• Ashley Rininger (22 points, 13 rebounds, 4 blocks) led Liberty to a 67-55 victory at Asheville on Dec. 30. Rininger is now averaging 21.0 ppg in her last three meetings with the Bulldogs. Chatori Major paced Asheville with 11 points.
• Liberty and Asheville entered that Dec. 30 matchup at Kimmel Arena with matching 2-0 Big South records. Since then, the Lady Flames have gone 7-1, while the Bulldogs are just 2-6.
• Asheville is just 2-8 away from home this season, but two of its four conference victories have come away from Kimmel Arena (at Longwood and Gardner-Webb).
• The Bulldogs' lone Virginia native, 6-0 center Bronaza Franklin, has won one Big South Freshman of the Week honor this season. For the year, she is shooting 61.2 percent from the field while averaging 5.8 ppg and 4.0 rpg. She graduated from George Washington High School in Danville, located about an hour south of Lynchburg.
• The last time Asheville won at the Vines Center (Feb. 24, 2007), the Bulldogs went on to capture the Big South tournament title.
1,000 and Counting Karly Buer eclipsed the 1,000-point mark for her collegiate career during Saturday's win over Campbell. She has tallied 1,009 career points, including her time at Missouri State and Liberty.
1,000 in Sight Ashley Rininger has scored 912 career points, leaving her 88 points away from becoming Liberty's 15th 1,000-point scorer. Scoring at her season average (11.7 ppg), Rininger would reach the milestone during a home game with Charleston Southern on Feb. 21.
Amazing Ashley Ashley Rininger set a program record for field goal percentage (minimum 10 attempts) by making 92.9 percent (13-of-14) of her field goal attempts, Saturday versus Campbell.
A Look Back at Liberty's 64-40 Win Over Campbell • History-making performances by Karly Buer and Ashley Rininger helped Liberty bounce back from its loss at Winthrop with a 64-40 victory over Campbell, Saturday afternoon at the Vines Center.
• Early in the first half, Buer eclipsed the 1,000-point milestone for her collegiate career, including her time at Missouri State and Liberty. Buer's 10 points in the game give her 1,009 for her career.
• Rininger set Liberty's single-game field goal percentage record (minimum 10 attempts) to highlight a season-high 27-point, 10 rebound, 3-block outing. She shot 92.9 percent (13-of-14) from the field, eclipsing the previous mark of 90.9 percent (10-of-11), set by Patti Gallant against UNCG on Nov. 27, 1984.
• Liberty's seventh straight home win improved the team's record to 13-6 overall and 9-1 in Big South play. The Lady Flames claimed sole possession of the Big South lead at the halfway mark of conference play.
• The Lady Flames' defense held Campbell's top two scorers on the season (Amanda Coffer and Kiera Gaines) to 4-of-28 from the field.
• As a team, the Camels shot only 24.6 percent (14-of-57) from the floor, becoming the 50th consecutive opponent Liberty has held below 50 percent.
• The Lady Flames controlled the paint during the game, as evidenced by their advantages in rebounds (51-36), points in the paint (36-12) and second-chance points (21-8). Liberty has now outrebounded eight opponents in a row.
• Jaymee Fisher-Davis tallied nine points on a trio of three-pointers, while Simone Brown pulled down eight rebounds.
Big South Midterm Evaluation At the halfway mark of the 20-game Big South Conference schedule, Liberty tops the conference standings at 9-1.
• The Lady Flames have played strong defense through 10 conference games, holding opponents to 50.3 ppg on 30.2 percent from the field.
• Liberty has also controlled the glass, outrebounding Big South foes by an average of 11.3 boards per game.
• Ashley Rininger is averaging a double-double (12.9 ppg, 10.1 rpg) in Big South play. The Container is Half Empty Liberty has held 50 straight opponents below 50 percent shooting from the field. Purdue was the Lady Flames' most recent foe to make at least half of its field goal attempts, connecting at a 50.0 percent (26-of-52) clip during the first round of the 2013 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 24, 2013).
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram