Mickayla Sanders averaged 16.0 ppg in two meetings with Campbell as a freshman.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes
Game Time: 2 p.m. Official Tipoff: 2:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV ESPN3 Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Chierstin Susel Halftime/Postgame Reporters: Erin Hagen, Adam Deyo and Heather Stephens
Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WWMC 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Liberty (12-6, 8-1 Big South) will wrap up the first half of its Big South schedule Saturday at the Vines Center, playing host to Campbell (11-7, 6-3 Big South) in a battle between two of the conference's top four teams. Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Both Liberty and Campbell will attempt to bounce back from disappointing results on Tuesday. The Lady Flames suffered their first Big South loss by a 63-58 count at Winthrop, while the Camels fell at Coastal Carolina, 50-40. Liberty has only lost back-to-back Big South games once in Carey Green's 16 seasons as head coach.
2) Liberty has played well at home this season, winning six consecutive games at the Vines Center. Meanwhile, the Camels have not won in Lynchburg since Nov. 29, 1999, which was Carey Green's third game as the Lady Flames' head coach.
3) The Lady Flames have gotten back to their traditional dominance in rebounding since the calendar flipped to 2015, outrebounding opponents by an average of 18.0 boards per game. Most recently, Liberty grabbed a season-best 32 offensive rebounds at Winthrop on Tuesday.
4) Karly Buer, just one point shy of 1,000 for her collegiate career, will look to rebound from Tuesday's game. She was limited to five points on 1-of-13 shooting from the field during the loss at Winthrop.
5) Mickayla Sanders, who has scored in double figures in three of her last five games, played well against Campbell as a freshman. She averaged 16.0 ppg in two meetings with the Camels, whose campus is located only 30 miles from her hometown of Clayton, N.C.
Liberty vs. Campbell At a Glance Series History Series Record: Series tied, 13-13. Current Streak: Campbell won the most recent meeting. Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 8-4. Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won three consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Campbell 61, Liberty 55 (OT) (Feb. 1, 2014 at Campbell) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 75, Campbell 52 (Dec. 28, 2013) Liberty's Last Series Victory: Liberty 75, Campbell 52 (Dec. 28, 2013 at Liberty) Campbell's Last Series Victory at Liberty: Campbell 64, Liberty 59 (Nov. 29, 1999 at LU)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 369-127 (16th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Campbell: 6-2
Campbell Head Coach: Wanda Watkins Overall Record (Seasons): 528-420 (34th Season) Record at Campbell (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 13-13
Notes and Anecdotes • Liberty and Campbell split the season series in 2013-14, with each team winning on its home court. The Camels' 61-55 overtime victory over the Lady Flames on Feb. 1, 2014 in Buies Creek, N.C., snapped Liberty's six-game winning streak in the head-to-head series.
• Liberty and Campbell have each won half of their 26 all-time matchups. The Camels are the only current Big South team with a record of .500 or better against the Lady Flames.
• Campbell has not won at the Vines Center since a 64-59 triumph on Nov. 29, 1999. That was Carey Green's third game as Liberty's head coach. The Lady Flames are 3-0 against the Camels at the Vines Center since Campbell rejoined the Big South in 2011-12, winning by an average of 19.7 ppg.
• Both Liberty and Campbell had been on a roll prior to Tuesday. The Lady Flames saw their six-game winning streak snapped with a 63-58 loss at Winthrop. Meanwhile, the Camels had won six of their last seven contests before suffering a 50-40 setback at Coastal Carolina.
• Senior guard Kiera Gaines does it all for the Camels. The reigning Big South defensive player of the year ranks second in the Big South in steals, sixth in rebounds and eighth in assists. With 94 career blocked shots, she needs one more rejection to set Campbell's career record.
Milestone Watch Karly Buer is just one point away from 1,000 for her collegiate career entering Saturday's game. She scored 773 points at Missouri State and has totaled 226 points at Liberty.
Bouncing Back Liberty will try to bounce back from its 63-58 loss at Winthrop on Tuesday. The Lady Flames have traditionally been successful at rebounding from conference losses under head coach Carey Green. Last season, Liberty lost consecutive games to High Point and Campbell, marking the only time in Green's 16 seasons that the Lady Flames have dropped back-to-back Big South contests.
New Year's Resolution: Rebound! Since Jan. 1, the Lady Flames are outrebounding opponents by 18.0 boards per game.
A Look Back at Liberty's 63-58 Loss at Winthrop • Liberty suffered its first Big South Conference loss of the season, 63-58, Tuesday evening at Winthrop. The Lady Flames shot just 29.7 percent (27-of-74) for the game and only 27 percent (10-of-37) after halftime.
• The setback halted the Lady Flames' season-long six-game winning streak and their run of 13 straight Big South regular-season victories.
• Conversely, Winthrop snapped its three-game losing streak by shooting 57.1 percent (12-of-21) from the field after halftime, getting to the foul line 34 times, blocking 10 Liberty shot attempts and outscoring the Lady Flames in points off of turnovers by a 23-4 count.
• Liberty dominated the glass, finishing with a 57-33 rebounding edge. The Lady Flames collected 32 offensive rebounds, marking their first game with 30 or more offensive boards since March 10, 2012 against Charleston Southern.
• Three Lady Flames grabbed 10 or more rebounds, paced by Ashley Rininger's 17 boards. She fashioned a double-double (12 points, 11 rebounds) during the second half alone, finishing with 14 points and 17 boards. It was her seventh double-double of the season and the 26th of her career.
• Katelyn Adams matched her season high with 11 boards, while Simone Brown tied her career high with 10 rebounds.
• Sadalia Ellis scored all 10 of her points in the first half, reaching double figures for the first time since Dec. 17 at NC State. She also recorded team-high totals for assists (4) and steals (3).
• Karly Buer was limited to five points but moved to within a single point of 1,000 for her collegiate career.
Feasting at the Foul Line The Lady Flames lead the Big South and rank No. 24 nationally in free throw percentage at 75.1 percent.
• Liberty's season record for free throw percentage is 72.8 percent, set in 2007-08.
• Liberty shot a season-best 91.7 percent (22-of-24) at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 8.
• Karly Buer leads the conference and ranks No. 21 nationally at 87.3 percent. Winning the Battle of the Boards Liberty has outrebounded seven consecutive opponents, moving up to No. 22 nationally in rebound margin at +8.7. The Container is Half Empty Liberty has held 49 straight opponents below 50 percent shooting from the field. Purdue was the Lady Flames' most recent foe to make at least half of its field goal attempts, connecting at a 50.0 percent (26-of-52) clip during the first round of the 2013 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship (March 24, 2013).
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram