The last time Liberty played at Reynolds Coliseum (Nov. 13, 2010 against College of Charleston), Emily Frazier celebrated her 20th birthday during the second game of her collegiate career.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes Game Time: Noon Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WWMC 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Liberty (6-2, 2-0 Big South) will begin a challenging three-game pre-Christmas road swing at NC State (7-3, 0-0 ACC) on Wednesday. Tipoff is slated for noon inside Reynolds Coliseum.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Wednesday's matinee will open a stretch of five days which will see Liberty take on opponents from the ACC (NC State), Big Ten (Minnesota) and SEC (No. 1/1 South Carolina), all away from the Vines Center. The Lady Flames have already defeated one Big Ten opponent (Penn State) this season.
2) NC State has never lost to a Big South opponent, going 21-0 all-time against conference schools, including 1-0 against the Lady Flames (Dec. 4, 2005). Liberty is seeking its first win over an ACC foe since Dec. 30, 2008 at Virginia Tech.
3) Liberty has won a season-best four consecutive games, while NC State enters Wednesday's matchup coming off of back-to-back victories by an average of 29.0 ppg.
4) Both NC State and Liberty have enjoyed success at the foul line in 2014-15. The Wolfpack ranks No. 1 nationally with a 79.9 percent team free throw percentage. Liberty made 9-of-10 foul shots to close out its Saturday win over Gardner-Webb and tops the Big South (No. 22 nationally) at 76.1 percent.
5) Sophomore Simone Brown is nearing the program record of 22 straight free throws made, set by Jennifer Fairfax in 1991. Brown has hit 19 consecutive free throws and paces the Lady Flames with 16.8 ppg during their current four-game winning streak. For the season, Brown is shooting a Big South-best 89.3 percent from the charity stripe.
Liberty vs. NC State At a Glance Series History Series Record: NC State leads, 1-0 Previous Meeting: NC State 83, Liberty 69 (Dec. 4, 2005 in Raleigh, N.C.)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 363-123 (16th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. NC State: 0-1
NC State Head Coach: Wes Moore Overall Record (Seasons): 590-180 (26th Season) Record at NC State (Seasons): 32-11 (Second Season) Record vs. Liberty: 0-0
Notes and Anecdotes • NC State won its only previous meeting with Liberty, 83-69 on Dec. 4, 2005, capturing the championship of its own tournament at Reynolds Coliseum. Lady Flames freshman Megan Frazee scored 29 points against the Wolfpack and was named tournament MVP. NC State was paced by Tiffany Stansbury with 21 points.
• Liberty has played two games at Reynolds Coliseum since then, dropping contests to Creighton (40-35) and College of Charleston (49-46) at the Sheraton Raleigh Wolfpack Invitational, Nov. 12-13, 2010. Current redshirt seniors Emily Frazier and Jasmine Gardner opened their collegiate careers that weekend. Assistant coach Brittany (Campbell) Hoyt also appeared in the tournament as a redshirt sophomore for the Lady Flames.
• NC State is 21-0 all-time against Big South opponents, including a 66-62 home win over High Point on Nov. 21.
• Liberty is seeking its first win over an ACC opponent since Dec. 30, 2008. That day, the Lady Flames notched a 45-43 victory at Virginia Tech in the championship game of the Hokie Hardwood Classic.
• Liberty and NC State have played two common opponents this season, Charlotte and Elon. The Lady Flames lost to both teams, while the Wolfpack defeated both the 49ers and Phoenix.
• NC State leads the nation in free throw percentage this season, at 79.9 percent. Krystal Barrett leads the way, shooting 19-of-19 thus far in 2014-15. Liberty ranks No. 22 on the national list at 76.1 percent from the line.
• NC State Associate Head Coach Nikki (Blassingame) West played at Clemson when Carey Green was an assistant coach for the Tigers.
Keys to the Streak Liberty enters Wednesday's game on a season-best four-game winning streak. The following are a few keys to the Lady Flames' recent success.
• During the last four games, Simone Brown (16.8 ppg) and Karly Buer (16.5 ppg) have led the way in the scoring column.
• Brown has shot the ball extremely well from the field (60.6 percent, 20-of-33), three-point range (50 percent, 8-of-16) and the foul line (100 percent, 19-of-19).
• Sadalia Ellis is averaging 4.0 steals per game.
• As a team, Liberty is shooting 81.1 percent (77-of-95) from the free throw line.
Keeping Up with Karly Karly Buer has made an immediate impact for the Lady Flames during her first season with the team after transferring from Missouri State.
• Buer is the first Lady Flame to open her Liberty career with eight consecutive double-digit scoring outputs since Megan Frazee in 2005-06. The last Lady Flame to do so in more than eight games was Brenda Gunsallus, who opened the 1979-80 season with 20 straight games in double figures.
Feasting at the Foul Line Liberty is shooting 81.1 percent at the free throw line during the last four games and now leads the Big South at 76.1 percent on the season.
• Liberty's season record for free throw percentage is 72.8 percent, set in 2007-08.
• Individually, Simone Brown paces the conference at 89.3 percent and has hit 19 foul shots in a row, nearing the program record of 22. Karly Buer, who just wrapped up her own streak of 14 consecutive made free throws, sits No. 2 in the Big South at 86.7 percent.
• Liberty shot 9-of-10 from the free throw line during the final 2:03 of Saturday's win over Gardner-Webb and is shooting 76.4 percent during the last 5:00 of games this season. Simone Brown is 10-of-10 in the last five minutes on the year.
Road Warriors Wednesday's game will begin a four-game road swing for the Lady Flames. Liberty is in the middle of a stretch which includes only one home tilt (Dec. 13 vs. Gardner-Webb) during a nine-game span. The Lady Flames have played well on the road so far this season, going 3-1 away from the Vines Center.
From One Set of Tests to Another Final exams at Liberty just ended on Dec. 11, and now the Lady Flames will prepare for arguably their most challenging on-court tests of the 2014-15 season. Within five days, the Lady Flames will face opponents from the ACC (NC State on Dec. 17), Big Ten (Minnesota on Dec. 20) and SEC (No. 1/1 South Carolina on Dec. 21), all away from home.
A Look Back at Liberty's 56-47 Win Over Gardner-Webb • Liberty improved to 2-0 in Big South play with a 56-47 home victory over Gardner-Webb on Saturday, despite making only one field goal during the final 13:13 of the contest.
• Gardner-Webb cut a 14-point deficit to two with a 12-0 run, making it a 47-45 game with 2:49 remaining.
• Liberty then closed out its fourth consecutive victory overall and its seventh straight win over the Runnin' Bulldogs thanks in large part to two Sadalia Ellis steals, two Karly Buer offensive rebounds and a 9-of-10 performance from the foul line during the final 2:07.
• The Lady Flames also utilized a staunch defensive effort, holding Gardner-Webb to 23.1 percent (12-of-52) field goal shooting on the evening.
• Liberty shot 81 percent (17-of-21) from the free throw line for the game, including 88.9 percent (16-of-18) after halftime.
• The Lady Flames converted Gardner-Webb's 26 turnovers into 30 points.
• Simone Brown led all players with 15 points, including three triples. She also nailed all four of her free throw attempts, extending her streak to 19 straight made foul shots. The program record is 22, set by Jennifer Fairfax in 1991. It was Brown's fourth straight game scoring in double figures.
• Karly Buer finished with 12 points, and has now reached double digits in all eight of her appearances as a Lady Flame. She also grabbed a season-best seven rebounds, tying Katelyn Adams for the team high.
• Sadalia Ellis came up with five steals for the second straight game, becoming the first Lady Flame with back-to-back five-steal contests since Sharon Wilkerson on Feb. 26 and March 2, 2000.
Brown Breaks Through Entering the Penn State game on Nov. 28, sophomore Simone Brown owned a career scoring average of 5.4 ppg and a career high of 10 points. Brown then erupted for 23 points during the win over the Nittany Lions.
• That began a streak of four straight double-figure scoring outputs for the Sunshine State native. Brown is averaging a team-high 16.8 ppg over the last four games, all Liberty victories. She is shooting 60.6 percent from the floor, 50 percent from three-point range and a perfect 19-of-19 from the free throw line during that time.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram