Katelyn Adams tallied 16 points and nine rebounds at Saint Joseph's last season.
Game Day Central Page Liberty's Women's Basketball Game Notes
Game Time: 2 p.m. Official Tipoff: 2:05 p.m.
TV Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – TV Big South Network Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Mike Tilley Color Commentator: Kelley Deyo Sideline Reporter: Chierstin Susel Halftime/Postgame Reporters: Erin Hagen, Adam Deyo and Heather Stephens
Radio Coverage: Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio WWMC 90.9 FM The Light Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Today's Game Liberty (1-1) will wrap up its 2014-15 season-opening homestand Saturday at 2 p.m., when Saint Joseph's (1-1) makes its first-ever visit to the Vines Center. The second Atlantic 10 team to visit Lynchburg this week, the Hawks are coming off of a 23-win season which saw them advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
The "Starting Five" - Liberty's Top Storylines 1) Liberty will look to avenge a 77-65 setback at Saint Joseph's last season and defeat its second Atlantic 10 foe in five days. The Lady Flames have won three straight home games against A-10 opponents.
2) Saint Joseph's has never lost to a Big South opponent in program history. The Hawks are 3-0 against Big South foes, including triumphs over Liberty, Radford and Towson.
3) Saturday's game will be exciting for redshirt junior post player Catherine Kearney. Both of her parents (Steve Kearney and Kate (McPeak) Kearney) played basketball at Saint Joseph's and Kearney grew up approximately 30 miles from campus in Monroeville, N.J.
4) Redshirt junior post player Ashley Rininger has recorded double-doubles in each of the first two games this season and in three straight contests dating back to 2013-14. She performed well against Saint Joseph's a year ago, finishing with 15 points and a then career-high 14 rebounds.
5) Redshirt senior guard Karly Buer has been a spark plug off of Carey Green's bench, tallying 10 points in each of her first two games as a Lady Flame. The last player to reach double figures in her first two contests in a Liberty uniform was Devon Brown in the 2009-10 season.
Liberty vs. Saint Joseph's At a Glance Series History Series Record: Saint Joseph's leads, 1-0. Current Streak: Saint Joseph's won the only previous meeting. Series Record at Liberty: First meeting Last Meeting: Saint Joseph's 77, Liberty 65 (Nov. 23, 2013 at Saint Joseph's)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 358-122 (16th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Saint Joseph's: 0-1
Saint Joseph's Head Coach: Cindy Griffin Overall Record (Seasons): 295-200 (17th Season) Record at Saint Joseph's (Seasons): 247-167 (14th Season) Record vs. Liberty: 1-0
Notes and Anecdotes • Saturday's game will be a special one for Liberty redshirt junior post player Catherine Kearney, as both of her parents played basketball at Saint Joseph's. Father Steve Kearney was a member of the men's basketball team in 1979-80 and 1980-81, helping the Hawks reach the Elite Eight of the 1981 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship. Mother Kate (McPeak) Kearney played for the women's basketball team from 1979-80 through 1982-83.
• Kearney and the Lady Flames' other post players fared well during Liberty's 77-65 setback at Saint Joseph's last season (Nov. 23, 2013) in the first-ever matchup between the Lady Flames and Hawks. Ashley Rininger had 15 points and 14 rebounds, Katelyn Adams added 16 points and nine boards and Kearney contributed eight points, as Liberty finished with a +28 (52-24) rebound margin for the game.
• Saint Joseph's has posted four straight 20-win seasons and has made back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances. Last season, the Hawks defeated Georgia in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. This year, Saint Joseph's was picked to finish third of 14 teams in the Atlantic 10 Conference.
• The Hawks are 3-0 all-time against Big South opponents, with one win apiece against Liberty, Radford and former conference member Towson.
• Saint Joseph's will be the second Atlantic 10 team to visit the Vines Center in five days, after Liberty defeated VCU by a 69-53 count on Tuesday. The Lady Flames have won three straight home matchups against A-10 foes. The last A-10 team to leave the Vines Center with a win was Richmond, which recorded a 65-45 victory on Nov. 22, 2004, 10 years to the day before Saturday's Liberty-Saint Joseph's clash.
Picking Up Where She Left Off After posting 16 double-doubles last season, Ashley Rininger has notched double-doubles in each of the first two games of the 2014-15 campaign. She is the first Lady Flame since Megan Frazee in 2006-07 to open a season with back-to-back double-doubles.
Frazee, in her freshman season of 2005-06, was the last Lady Flame to notch three straight double-doubles to begin a year.
Making a Good First Impression Karly Buer has scored 10 points in each of her first two games at Liberty, after transferring from Missouri State during the offseason. The last Lady Flame to reach double figures in each of her first two games in a Liberty uniform was Devon Brown, who started her career with five straight double-digit outputs during the 2009-10 season.
Get Out Your GPS After Saturday, Liberty will play eight of its next nine games away from the Vines Center, including contests in four different states (Georgia, Minnesota, North Carolina, Virginia). During that span, the Lady Flames will face two Big Ten opponents (Minnesota and Penn State), one ACC foe (NC State) and one SEC squad (South Carolina).
A Look Back at Liberty's 69-53 Victory over VCU • Liberty broke open a close game with a late 14-2 run, holding visiting VCU to one made field goal during the final 6:34 of the Lady Flames' 69-53 triumph.
• The game tipped off at noon, Tuesday afternoon at the Vines Center, and was played primarily in front of local schoolchildren on Liberty's third annual "Best Field Trip Ever Day."
• Liberty handed the Rams their first loss of the season after a 2-0 start, holding the visitors to 25.8 percent (17-of-66) field goal shooting and 6.3 percent (1-of-16) from three-point range.
• The result halted a streak which had seen the visiting team win the last four Liberty-VCU tilts. The Lady Flames improved to 6-2 in their last eight meetings with the Rams.
• The decision marked Liberty's sixth consecutive win over an in-state opponent, dating back to last season.
• Liberty won despite making only 11.8 percent (2-of-17) of its three-point tries.
• The Lady Flames' size advantage led to a 51-43 rebounding edge and a 38-26 cushion in the points in the paint category.
• Ashley Rininger led all players in both points (18) and rebounds (11) for her second straight double-double to open the season and the 21st double-double of the redshirt junior's career.
• Karly Buer chipped in 10 points for the second consecutive game to begin her Liberty career.
• Sadalia Ellis added nine points and a game-high six assists, a career-high-equaling five rebounds, a career-high two blocks and a game-high two steals.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram