On Thursday, the Lady Flames will aim for their eighth straight win overall and their 10th consecutive road triumph.
Game Day Central Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.) Complete Game Notes Radio Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network Broadcast - Tip-Off: 7 p.m. at UNC Asheville Broadcasting Station: The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Video Streaming: Big South Network Today's Game Big South-leading Liberty (20-6, 12-2 Big South) will begin its final road swing of the 2012-13 regular season on Thursday, when the Lady Flames travel to UNC Asheville (2-24, 0-15 Big South). Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Kimmel Arena.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines 1) Liberty will attempt to extend a number of winning streaks on Thursday. The Lady Flames have won seven games in a row overall, nine straight road games, 12 straight contests against UNC Asheville and 15 straight road matchups with the Bulldogs.
2) If the Lady Flames are able to win on Thursday, they would tie a program record with their 10th straight road victory. Liberty, which has not dropped a road game since Nov. 23 at Baylor, has won 10 consecutive road games twice previously in program history.
3) UNC Asheville will try to snap a number of losing streaks. The Bulldogs have dropped seven consecutive home games, 17 straight games overall and 27 straight tilts against Big South opponents.
4) Asheville senior Kelli Riles is stamping her place among the all-time leading rebounders in Big South Conference history. She currently ranks fifth in conference annals with 1,009 boards and needs four rebounds to pass Radford alum Karen Bowles for fourth place on the list. Riles is averaging just 4.6 rpg in seven career meetings with the Lady Flames.
5) Meanwhile, Liberty senior Devon Brown continues to climb the Big South's all-time scoring chart. She enters Thursday's contest in sixth place in conference history with 1,869 career points. Brown needs 15 points to pass Megan Frazee for second place on Liberty's all-time list and fifth place on the all-time Big South ledger. Liberty vs. UNC Asheville At a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 46-7. Current Streak: Liberty has won 12 consecutive meetings. Series Record at UNC Asheville: Liberty leads, 18-5. Current Streak at UNC Asheville: Liberty has won 15 consecutive meetings. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 75, UNC Asheville 49 (Jan. 5, 2013 at Liberty) Last Meeting at UNC Asheville: Liberty 78, UNC Asheville 56 (Jan. 28, 2012) UNC Asheville's Last Series Victory: Asheville 54, Liberty 51 (Feb. 24, 2007 at LU) UNC Asheville's Last Series Victory at Home: Asheville 68, Liberty 59 (Feb. 8, 1997)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 330-109 (14th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. UNC Asheville: 31-1
UNC Asheville Head Coach: Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick Overall Record (Seasons): 2-24 (First Season) Record at UNC Asheville (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 0-1
Notes and Anecdotes • UNC Asheville will attempt to snap a few losing streaks on Thursday. The Bulldogs have dropped seven straight home games, 17 straight games overall and 27 consecutive games to Big South opponents.
• Meanwhile, the Lady Flames have won 12 straight matchups against Asheville and 15 straight road games versus the Bulldogs.
• Liberty has held UNC Asheville to 69 points or fewer in each of the teams' last 39 head-to-head meetings.
• Thursday's game will match up one of the Big South's all-time leading rebounders (UNC Asheville's Kelli Riles) against one of the conference's all-time leading scorers (Liberty's Devon Brown). Riles ranks fifth in Big South history with 1,009 career boards, but is averaging only 4.6 rpg in seven contests against the Lady Flames. Meanwhile, Brown sits sixth in Big South annals with 1,869 career points.
• Asheville first-year head coach Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick went 1-1 against Liberty during her playing career at Wake Forest (1997-2001).
• Thursday's game will mark the return of Liberty freshman guard/forward Jessi Edmonds to her hometown of Asheville. However, the Carolina Day School graduate has not played in a game this season, due to injury. Road Warriors Liberty has not lost a road game since Nov. 23 at Baylor, winning nine straight road contests since then. If the Lady Flames win at UNC Asheville on Thursday, they will tie the program record for longest road winning streak at 10 games.
• The Lady Flames have previously recorded a pair of 10-game road winning streaks, including one spanning Dec. 2, 1997-Feb. 16, 1998 and another lasting from Jan. 28, 2006- Nov. 25, 2006.
• The Lady Flames are 9-3 on the road this season, making them one of 23 teams in the nation with nine or more road triumphs.
• Liberty needs one more road victory to reach double digits in road wins for the fourth straight season.
Bench Bunch The Lady Flames have gotten solid production out of their non-starters this season, averaging 25.3 bench points per game.
• Liberty has tallied more bench points than its opponent in 11 straight games and 14 of the last 15 contests. The Lady Flames are 18-2 this season when outscoring their opponent in bench points.
Cashing in From the Charity Stripe Liberty is making 72.0 percent of its free throws this season, which is the Lady Flames' highest percentage since hitting a program-record 72.8 percent of its foul shots in 2007-08. The Lady Flames have been even better (73.6 percent) during the last five minutes of games, including an 18-of-24 performance (75 percent) in its last two outings. A Look Back at Liberty's 69-60 Win over Radford • Liberty extended its winning streak to a season-long seven games and sealed its sixth consecutive 20-win season with a 69-60 triumph over Radford, Saturday afternoon at the Vines Center.
• Playing on its annual Play 4Kay Day, the Lady Flames became the first team to clinch a bye into the quarterfinal round of the 2013 Big South Women's Basketball Championship.
• Radford outrebounded Liberty, 43-36, halting the Lady Flames' streak of 20 straight games winning the rebounding battle.
• For the 21st straight game, Liberty held its opponent below 50 percent field goal shooting (36.7 percent).
• The Lady Flames outscored their foe in bench points for the 11th contest in a row, 24-8.
• One of those reserves, Ashley Rininger, paced the Lady Flames in both points (14) and blocked shots (4). It was her eighth time scoring in double figures in the last 11 games, and Liberty is now 9-0 this season when Rininger reaches double digits.
• Devon Brown tallied 11 of her 13 points during the second half. In the process, she moved into sixth place on the Big South's all-time scoring list with 1,869 points.
• Tolu Omotola extended her career-long streak of scoring in double figures to nine consecutive games, finishing with 13 tallies.
• Jasmine Gardner added 13 points of her own, which was the junior's highest scoring output since a 13-point evening at Charleston Southern on Jan. 10. Gardner also paced the Lady Flames with seven rebounds.
• LaKendra Washington hit three-pointers on back-to-back possessions in the second half, after Radford had trimmed the deficit to eight points. It was the first time Washington has made multiple trifectas in the same game since Dec. 20 at VCU.
Seven in a Row Liberty is in the midst of its longest winning streak of the 2012-13 season, at seven games. The following are some keys to the streak.
• Tolu Omotola is averaging just under a double-double (16.0 ppg, 9.1 rpg).
• At the offensive end, Liberty is shooting 37.6 percent (41-of-109) from three-point range and dishing out 17.3 assists per game.
• All seven opponents have scored between 54-60 points.
• Liberty is outscoring opponents by an average of 42.9 to 29.7 during the second half.
Rare Achievement by Radford Radford outrebounded Liberty during Saturday's game, 43-36, snapping a pair of lengthy streaks.
• Prior to Saturday, the Lady Flames had outrebounded 20 straight opponents overall and 23 consecutive Big South foes, dating back to 2011-12.
Good Things Happen in Threes Ashley Rininger won her third Big South Freshman of the Week award this season on Monday, to go along with her honors on Dec. 3 and Jan. 14. Meanwhile, teammates Devon Brown (Nov. 26, Dec. 10 and Jan. 2) and Tolu Omotola (Nov. 19, Dec. 3 and Feb. 4) have each earned a trio of Big South Player of the Week nods in 2012-13. The Container is Half Empty • Liberty has played strong defense this season, limiting opponents to 33.8 percent field goal shooting. The Lady Flames have held 21 consecutive foes below 50 percent from the field, with seven of them shooting below 30 percent.
• Since the start of the 2007-08 season, only six teams have shot 50 percent against Liberty in 190 games. By way of comparison, the Lady Flames have shot 50 percent 53 times during that span. A Winning Tradition At 20-6, Liberty has clinched its 17th consecutive winning season. The streak started in 1996-97, the first year that the Lady Flames won the Big South Conference title.
• With its 12-2 conference record, Liberty has posted its 14th consecutive season with double-digit Big South wins.
• Liberty has posted its sixth straight 20-win season and 15th 20-win campaign in the last 17 years.
• With one more road win, Liberty would record double-digit road victories for the fourth season in a row.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram