Ashley Rininger scored 11 points during Liberty's 65-58 victory over Campbell, Jan. 19 at the Vines Center.
Game Day Central Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.) Complete Game Notes Radio Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network Broadcast - Tip-Off: 7 p.m. at Campbell Broadcasting Station: The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Video Streaming: Big South Network Today's Game Liberty (15-6, 7-2 Big South) will open a three-game road swing on Thursday with its second contest against Campbell (13-7, 5-4 Big South) in 13 days. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at Gore Arena/Pope Center.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines 1) With fellow Big South first-place squads Winthrop and Presbyterian College squaring off on Thursday, Liberty needs to defeat Campbell to remain in a first-place tie with that game's victor.
2) The Lady Flames and Lady Camels should be familiar with one another, since they just faced each other Jan. 19 at the Vines Center. Liberty took that matchup by a 65-58 count, thanks in large part to a +27 rebounding margin and holding Campbell to 2-of-17 shooting from three-point range.
3) Liberty will look to continue its run of success in road games. The Lady Flames have not lost a game away from the Vines Center since Nov. 23 at Baylor. Liberty is currently riding a six-game road winning streak, including four Big South victories. Thursday's game will be Carey Green's 100th Big South road game as Liberty's head coach, and he is 88-11 in Big South road tilts.
4) Campbell will attempt to post its first victory over Liberty since Nov. 29, 1999, which was Carey Green's third game as Liberty's head coach.
5) Thursday's game could feature some stellar passing. Campbell ranks No. 15 nationally with 16.7 apg. Meanwhile, the Lady Flames dished out a season-high 29 assists Saturday against Longwood, including a career-high 13 helpers by Emily Frazier. Liberty vs. Campbell At a Glance Series History Series Record: Campbell leads, 12-10. Current Streak: Liberty has won three consecutive meetings. Series Record at Campbell: Campbell leads, 7-2. Current Streak at Campbell: Liberty won the most recent meeting. Last Meeting Overall: Liberty 65, Campbell 58 (Jan. 19, 2013 at Liberty) Last Meeting at Campbell: Liberty 58, Campbell 45 (Feb. 4, 2012) Campbell's Last Series Victory: Campbell 64, Liberty 59 (Nov. 29, 1999 at Liberty) Campbell's Last Series Victory at Home: Campbell 73, Liberty 69 (OT) (Dec. 5, 1998)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 325-109 (14th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Campbell: 3-1
Campbell Head Coach: Wanda Watkins Overall Record (Seasons): 491-397 (32nd Season) Record at Campbell (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 12-10
Notes and Anecdotes • Thursday's game will mark the second matchup between the Lady Flames and Lady Camels in 13 days. Liberty will look to complete a regular-season sweep of Campbell after recording a 65-58 victory at the Vines Center on Jan. 19.
• Liberty enters Thursday's game having won five of its last six contests, while Campbell has lost three of its last four outings.
• The Lady Flames' last visit to Campbell, a 58-45 victory on Feb. 4, 2012, was a history-rich day for Liberty. Avery Warley broke the Big South career rebounding record, head coach Carey Green won his 300th career game and the contest was No. 1,000 in the history of Liberty women's basketball.
• Campbell was ranked No. 4 nationally in three-point field goal percentage before visiting the Vines Center on Jan. 19. The Lady Camels made only 2-of-17 (11.8 percent) of their three-point tries that day and are shooting just 7-of-43 (16.3 percent) from beyond the arc during the last three games.
• Campbell will shoot for its first win over Liberty since Nov. 29, 1999, which was Carey Green's third game as the Lady Flames' head coach.
• During their last four home games, the Lady Camels have seen two contests go to overtime and another decided by just three points. Road Warriors Liberty has not lost a road game since falling at Baylor on Nov. 23. Since then, the Lady Flames have reeled off six consecutive road victories, including four Big South road wins. The following are some notes regarding Liberty's six-game road winning streak.
• The Lady Flames are 88-11 in Big South road games under head coach Carey Green.
• Devon Brown is averaging 20.7 ppg.
• Liberty is outrebounding opponents by 18.8 boards/game.
• The Lady Flames are shooting 76.0 percent from the free throw line.
Noting the 90s Liberty's 91-58 victory over Longwood on Saturday marked the fourth time this season that the Lady Flames have scored 90 or more points in a game.
• Prior to this season, the Lady Flames had never posted four 90-point games in a single year since joining the NCAA Division I ranks in 1988-89. Liberty's last season with a quartet of 90-point outbursts came in 1986-87.
Bench Bunch The Lady Flames have gotten solid production out of their non-starters this season, averaging 24.8 bench points per game.
• Liberty has tallied more bench points than its opponent in six straight games and nine of the last 10 contests. The Lady Flames are 13-2 this season when outscoring their opponent in bench points. A Look Back at Liberty's 91-58 Home Win Over Longwood • Liberty moved into a first-place tie in the Big South standings, thanks to a 91-58 victory over Longwood, Saturday at the Vines Center.
• The contest was the first-ever conference matchup between the Commonwealth foes, after they had squared off 28 times as non-conference opponents.
• The Lady Flames broke open a close game with a 24-2 run that spanned both halves.
• Liberty shot 50 percent (36-of-72) from the field, improving to 91-1 when making at least half of its field goals under head coach Carey Green.
• It was the 16th straight game that the Lady Flames won the rebounding battle (+26) and held its opponent below 50 percent field goal shooting (.303).
• Liberty totaled a season-high 29 assists, which was the program's highest single-game assist total since Nov. 30, 2007 versus Virginia Union (33).
• Emily Frazier finished with a career-high 13 assists, tying the Vines Center and program NCAA Division I single-game records. No Lady Flame had recorded 13 assists in a game since Kristi Mercer did so against UNCG on Feb. 16, 1989.
• Devon Brown scored 15 of her game-high 21 points after halftime, moving to within five points of 1,800 for her career.
• Brittany Campbell scored a career-high 19 points, shooting 4-of-5 from three-point range.
• Ashley Rininger put together her second career double-double, with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
• Jasmine Gardner moved into Liberty's top 50 career rebounders list after tying her season high with a dozen boards.
Lending a Helping Hand Liberty dished out a season-high 29 assists during Saturday's 91-58 win over Longwood, including a career-high 13 helpers from Emily Frazier.
• The Lady Flames' assist total was their highest since a 33-assist performance during a 100-29 win over Virginia Union on Nov. 30, 2007.
• Before Saturday, no Lady Flame had tallied 13 or more assists in a game since Feb. 16, 1989. That day, Kristi Mercer ended with 13 assists against UNCG.
Fabulous at the Free Throw Line Liberty is shooting quite well at the free throw line during the last three games, hitting 78.9 percent (60-of-76) of its attempts against High Point, Campbell and Longwood.
• For the season, Liberty is making 71.9 percent of its free throws, which is not far off of the Lady Flames' single-season record of 72.8 percent, set in 2007-08.
• Devon Brown is shooting a Big South-best 83.5 percent from the foul line this season. That would rank her third in program history if the season ended today.
Speed Limit 65 Liberty has scored 65 or more points in 14 of its 15 victories this season, continuing a recent trend.
• The Lady Flames have won 21 straight games when reaching the 65-point mark, dating back to last season. Liberty is also 30-1 the last 31 times it has tallied 65 or more points. The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 5-0 this season and 91-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals.
The Container is Half Empty • Liberty has played strong defense this season, limiting opponents to 34.0 percent field goal shooting. The Lady Flames have held 16 consecutive foes below 50 percent from the field, with six of them shooting below 30 percent.
• Since the start of the 2007-08 season, only six teams have shot 50 percent against Liberty in 185 games. By way of comparison, the Lady Flames have shot 50 percent 52 times during that span.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram