Both Liberty and Winthrop will attempt to improve to 2-0 in Big South play, Saturday at the Winthrop Coliseum.
Game Day Central Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.) Complete Game Notes Today's Game Liberty (9-4, 1-0 Big South) will turn its attention to Big South Conference play for the remainder of the 2012-13 regular season, beginning with a contest at Winthrop (6-4, 1-0 Big South), Saturday at 1 p.m.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines 1) Both teams will be attempting to open Big South Conference play with 2-0 records. If Liberty wins, the Lady Flames will have recorded back-to-back road victories to tip off their 2012-13 Big South slate. If Winthrop wins, the Eagles will have already notched victories over the teams picked to finish first (Liberty) and second (High Point) in the Big South this season.
2) Liberty is seeking its fourth consecutive road victory. Meanwhile, Winthrop has won seven straight home games at the Winthrop Coliseum.
3) The Lady Flames will look to avenge their only Big South road defeat of the 2011-12 season, a 71-69 setback at Winthrop on Feb. 18, 2012. Liberty was 9-1 on the road against conference opponents last season.
4) Saturday's game will feature a matchup between two of the Big South's top distributors in Liberty redshirt sophomore Emily Frazier and Winthrop junior Dequesha McClanahan. Frazier leads the Big South in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.45) and is averaging 8.7 apg during her last three outings. Big South Preseason Player of the Year McClanahan tops the conference with 6.4 apg this season.
5) Both teams are coming off of lengthy layoffs from competition. Winthrop has not played since posting a 78-61 home victory over High Point on Dec. 18. Liberty's last game was a 76-63 win at VCU on Dec. 20. Liberty vs. Winthrop At a Glance Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 42-8. Current Streak: Winthrop won the most recent meeting. Series Record at Winthrop: Liberty leads, 16-7. Current Streak at Winthrop: Winthrop won the most recent meeting. Last Meeting Overall: Winthrop 71, Liberty 69 (Feb. 18, 2012 at Winthrop) Last Meeting at Winthrop: Same Liberty's Last Series Victory: Liberty 74, Winthrop 49 (Jan. 23, 2012 at Liberty) Liberty's Last Series Victory at Winthrop: Liberty 70, Winthrop 33 (Jan. 29, 2011)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 319-107 (14th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. Winthrop: 28-2
Winthrop Head Coach: Kevin Cook Overall Record (Seasons): 53-60 (Fifth Season) Record at Winthrop (Seasons): 6-4 (First Season) Record vs. Liberty: 0-0
Notes and Anecdotes • Winthrop has won seven straight games at the Winthrop Coliseum, since beginning the streak with a 71-69 win over Liberty on Feb. 18, 2012. That was the Lady Flames' lone Big South road loss of 2011-12, as Liberty went 9-1 on the road against conference foes.
• Both Winthrop and Liberty opened Big South Conference play with impressive victories. The Lady Flames rallied from a nine-point second-half deficit to post a 67-65 win at Radford on Dec. 1. The Eagles defeated High Point, 78-61, on Dec. 18.
• In the most recent NCAA national statistical report (through games played on Dec. 16), Winthrop's Diana Choibekova was the national leader with 4.0 three-pointers made per game. She also led the nation in triples made in 2011-12, hitting a Big South-record 121 trifectas on the year.
• The Eagles' Schaquilla Nunn ranks No. 10 nationally in blocked shots per game (3.11), while Preseason Big South Player of the Year Dequesha McClanahan sits No. 13 in assists per game (6.4).
• Kevin Cook is in his first year as Winthrop's head coach, after serving as an assistant for Marlene Stollings in 2011-12. Stollings is now coaching at VCU, who Liberty just defeated in its last game on Dec. 20 by a 76-63 score.
• Tolu Omotola has scored in double digits in three of her four career games vs. Winthrop. Liberty vs. the Big South Record vs. Current Conference Members: 285-92 Carey Green's Record vs. Current Conference Members: 195-19 Current Streak: Liberty has won its last eight meetings. Liberty's Last Loss: Winthrop 71, Liberty 69 (Feb. 18, 2012 at Winthrop) Road Warriors Liberty has won three straight road games, coming away with a 67-65 triumph at Radford on Dec. 1, prevailing 60-48 at James Madison three days later and posting a 76-63 win at VCU on Dec. 20.
• Liberty will aim to post its first victory outside of Virginia this season. All three of the Lady Flames' road triumphs in 2011-12 have come inside the Commonwealth.
• The Lady Flames have played well on the road in recent years, recording 10 road victories during each of the last two seasons. Liberty was 9-1 on the road against Big South opponents in 2011-12, with the only loss coming at Winthrop on Feb. 18, 2012.
Season of Giving Liberty redshirt sophomore Emily Frazier has been piling up assists in recent weeks, setting a new career high twice in the last three games and averaging 8.7 apg during her last three outings.
• Most recently, Frazier dished out a career-high 12 assists at VCU on Dec. 20. It was the most by a Lady Flame since Dec. 2, 1997, when Sarah Wilkerson finished with a dozen assists at Hampton. Frazier was seven years old at the time.
Speed Limit 65 Liberty has scored 65 or more points in eight of its nine victories this season, continuing a recent trend.
• The Lady Flames have won 15 straight games when reaching the 65-point mark, dating back to last season. Liberty is also 24-1 the last 25 times it has tallied 65 or more points. The lone loss came against Winthrop, by a 71-69 score on Feb. 18, 2012. A Look Back at Liberty's Win at VCU • Liberty posted a 76-63 victory at VCU on Dec. 20, marking the Lady Flames' third straight road win overall and third consecutive road triumph in their head-to-head series with the Rams.
• With the win, Liberty closed the non-conference portion of its regular-season schedule at 8-4.
• After trailing 10-3 early, Liberty outscored the Rams, 60-28, over the next 29:47 to build a lead as large as 25 points.
• The Lady Flames shot a season-high 52.9 percent (27-of-51) from the field, while also shooting well from three-point range (53.8 percent, 7-of-13) and the foul line (78.9 percent, 15-of-19).
• After shooting 4.3 percent (1-of-23) from three-point range during its previous two games, Liberty is 53.8 percent (14-of-26) from beyond the arc in its last two outings.
• It was Liberty's second straight game making over 50 percent of its field goals. The Lady Flames are now 2-0 this season and 88-1 under head coach Carey Green when shooting 50 percent or better from the floor.
• For the eighth consecutive game, Liberty outrebounded its opponent (33-18) and held its opponent below 50 percent field goal shooting (43.5 percent, 20-of-46).
• Emily Frazier dished out a career-high 12 assists for the Lady Flames, which was the most by a Liberty player since Sarah Wilkerson's 12 assists at Hampton on Dec. 2, 1997.
• Tolu Omotola contributed 15 points and a game-high 10 rebounds for her second straight double-double and fifth consecutive game scoring in double digits. Omotola also became the 23rd Lady Flame ever to pull down 500 career rebounds and now has 502 boards to her credit.
• LaKendra Washington connected on all four of her field goals and all three of her triples to score a season-high 11 points.
Fabulous at the Free Throw Line • Liberty is shooting 75.6 percent (121-of-150) from the line during its last seven games.
• Devon Brown is a perfect 22-of-22 within the last five minutes of games in 2012-13.
• For the year, the Lady Flames' free throw percentage stands at 72.3 percent, which is just shy of the team single-season record of 72.8 percent, set in 2007-08.
• A number of Liberty players are currently riding streaks of consecutive made free throws, led by Devon Brown and Emily Frazier, who have each hit nine in a row. Other active streaks include those of LaKendra Washington (6) and Terika Lunsford (4).
• The program record for consecutive made free throws is 22, set by Jennifer Fairfax in 1991. Brown made a run at the record earlier this season, hitting 19 straight foul shots between Dec. 1-8. The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 2-0 this season and 88-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram