Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Southern Virginia
Game Day Central Page
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Video Stream Coverage:
Big South Network
Tipoff: 7:05 p.m.
Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Click here for Complete Network Affiliates listing
- Liberty starts the season 0-8 for the first time in program history. The Flames are also 0-3 in the Vines Center for the first time.
- The last time Liberty started 0-3 at home was the 1988-89 season, its first year in Division I. That year the Flames played their games in the Schilling Center.
- Against Georgia State, Davon Marshall led all scorers with a game-high 25 points, marking the first 20-point game by a Flame this season and the most tallies since a 26-point effort by Evan Gordon at Coastal Carolina on Feb 3, 2011.
- Marshall's six three-pointers are also the most since Gordon posted the same number in Liberty's 2010-11 season opener against Virginia Intermont (Nov. 12, 2010).
- Despite the defeat, Liberty finished the contest with 12 three-pointers, the most since knocking down 15 in a 95-80 victory at Charleston Southern during the 2008-09 season (Feb. 14, 2009).
- Tomasz Gielo received his first start of the season on Sunday, finishing with three points and four rebounds. Last Thursday against Morgan State, the sophomore forward made his 2012-13 debut, posting 11 points in 18 minutes of play.
- Southern Virginia enters the contest 4-1 on the season. The Knights play one other Big South member this month, as they head to Longwood to take on the Lancers on Dec. 13.
This past summer, Southern Virginia made the move from the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) to the NCAA this past summer, receiving regional accreditation and provisional NCAA Division III membership. As a result, the Knights also accepted an offer to join the Capital Athletic Conference (beginning July 1, 2013).
Similar to Southern Virginia, Liberty transitioned from the NAIA, when it became eligible for NCAA Division II competition. Liberty moved to Division I on Sept. 1, 1988.
Young vs. Younger
Despite its 41-year existence, Liberty is considered a youngling compared to most universities. Southern Virginia is no exception, as it was founded 25 years after Liberty in 1996.
Tuesday's contest marks the fourth meeting all-time between the two squads and the third in the last four seasons. Liberty leads the series, 3-0. In the previous meeting, the Flames defeated the Knights, 82-49 (Nov. 18, 2010). Five Liberty players finished in double figures – Evan Gordon (14), David Minaya (13), John Caleb Sanders (12), John Brown (11) and Jesse Sanders (10). Antwan Burrus also concluded the contest with nine points.