Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Men's Tennis Triumphs in Season Opener
Liberty grabbed the doubles point to begin the match on a successful note. The Flames' Jarda Trojan and Chad Simpson defeated Mason's Jay Friedman and Jordan Lipstock 8-2 in the #1 doubles contest. The Patriots won the #2 doubles match behind strong play from Dan Schneider and Anastas Budagov, as they defeated Luis Olivera and Juan Reyes. However, Liberty won the point behind Sebastian Pena and Franco Valdez's 8-4 win in the deciding #3 position.
On the singles side, Liberty prevailed in five of the six matches played. Trojan won the #1 singles match, defeating Budagov in straight sets. Freshman Simpson won a hard-fought three set match at #2 and Reyes survived two tiebreakers to win at #3. Fabricio Picanco and Pena wrapped up the contest by winning the final two singles matches to complete the Flames win.
The Flames will return to action with their 1-0 record on Feb. 7, as they travel to Norfolk, Va., to take on the Spartans from Norfolk State. Match time is scheduled for 11 a.m.
1. Jarda Trojan/Chad Simpson (LU) def. Jay Friedman/Jordan Lipstock (GMU) 8-2
2. Dan Schneider/Anastas Budagov (GMU) def. Luis Olivera/Juan Reyes (LU) 8-3
3. Sebastian Pena/Franco Valdez (LU) def. Matt Snyder/Martin Brown (GMU) 8-4
1. Jarda Trojan (LU) def. Anastas Budagov (GMU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Chad Simpson (LU) def. Dan Schneider (GMU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Juan Reyes (LU) def. Jay Friedman (GMU) 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Jordan Lipstock (GMU) def. Luis Olivera (LU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Fabricio Picanco (LU) def. Martin Brown (GMU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Sebastian Pena (LU) def. Matt Snyder (GMU) 6-1, 6-2