Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Grambling State
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
7:05 p.m. vs. Grambling State
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Weekend at a Glance
Four Preseason WNIT consolation round games will be played at the Vines Center this weekend, featuring Grambling State, Sacred Heart, Sam Houston State and host Liberty.
All four teams are 0-1 to start the 2012-13 season, but the four squads averaged 20.5 wins between them a year ago.
Defending Northeast Conference champion Sacred Heart will face Sam Houston State of the Southland Conference to get things started, Friday at 4 p.m. Liberty will then face the SWAC's Grambling State in its 2012-13 home opener at 7 p.m.
Saturday's games, also slated for 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., will match up the two winning teams from Friday as well as the two losing squads. The Lady Flames are guaranteed to play at 7 p.m. Saturday evening, regardless of Friday's results.
Series Record: First meeting
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 310-104 (14th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Grambling State: 0-0
Record in the Preseason WNIT: 1-5 (Fourth Appearance)
Grambling State Head Coach: Patricia Cage-Bibbs
Overall Record (Seasons): 501-295 (28th Season)
Record at Grambling State (Seasons): 244-124 (14th Season Overall - First Season of Current Tenure as Head Coach)
Record vs. Liberty: 1-7 (0-4 with Hampton, 1-3 with North Carolina A&T)
Record in the Preseason WNIT: 1-3 (Second Appearance)
Notes and Anecdotes
• Friday's game will be Liberty's first women's basketball contest against a current member of the SWAC. The conference's members include Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Grambling State, Jackson State, Mississippi Valley State, Prairie View, Southern and Texas Southern.
• Carey Green and Patricia Cage-Bibbs both rank among the nation's elite head coaches. Green entered the 2012-13 season ranked 10th among active NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches with his career winning percentage of .751. Meanwhile, Cage-Bibbs' 501 career wins put her at No. 24 among active NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches.
• Cage-Bibbs' career has brought her full circle. A 1972 graduate of Grambling State, Cage-Bibbs' first head coaching job came at her alma mater, where she spent 13 years (1984-85 through 1996-97). After spending the next seven years at Hampton and seven more years at North Carolina A&T, Cage-Bibbs returned to Grambling State this season.
• Grambling State has two Virginia natives on its 2012-13 roster, Victoya Ricks (Richmond) and Jessica Watkins (Lynchburg). Both Ricks and Watkins played for Patrick Henry Community College last season, where one of their teammates was La'Shanda Brown. Brown is the younger sister of Liberty's Devon Brown.
• Friday will mark Liberty's first game against a team from Louisiana since Nov. 20, 2009. That day, the Lady Flames defeated Tulane by a 63-52 score in the opening round of the Navy Classic in Annapolis, Md. Devon Brown paced the Lady Flames to victory with 18 points and 12 rebounds in her third collegiate game.
Liberty in Home Openers
All-Time Record in Home Openers: 23-14
All-Time Record in Home Openers Played at the Vines Center: 14-8
Carey Green's Record in Home Openers: 10-3
Current Streak: Liberty lost last season's home opener.
Last Year's Home Opener: VCU 52, Liberty 47 (Nov. 15, 2011)
Liberty's Last Win in a Home Opener: Liberty 71, Virginia Union 19 (Nov. 16, 2010)
Note: During Carey Green's first 13 seasons as Liberty's head coach, the Lady Flames' only three home-opening losses have come to teams from Richmond (Richmond in 2000-01 and VCU in 2008-09 and 2011-12).
Liberty at the Vines Center
All-Time Record at the Vines Center: 222-57
Carey Green's Record at the Vines Center: 151-21
Current Streak: Liberty has won its last eight games at the Vines Center.
Liberty's Last Loss at the Vines Center: High Point 73, Liberty 69 (OT) (Jan. 7, 2012)
Record at the Vines Center in 2012-13: 0-0 (16 games remaining)
Last Five Vines Center Records:
2007-08 - 13-0
2008-09 - 10-2
2009-10 - 13-2
2010-11 - 10-1
2011-12 - 11-3
Note: Liberty will play 16 home games in a season for the first time since 2002-03. That year, the Big South champion Lady Flames played 13 regular-season home games and three more Vines Center tilts during the Big South Championship, going 15-1 overall at home.
Somewhat of a Rematch
Liberty will face Grambling State, coached by Patricia Cage-Bibbs, almost exactly one year after Cage-Bibbs' North Carolina A&T team beat Liberty, 81-74, on Nov. 18, 2011.
A Look Back at Liberty's Loss at Duquesne on Nov. 9
• Liberty lost its opening-round Preseason WNIT game for the fourth time in as many tries, 63-46, at Duquesne.
• The Dukes scored the first five points of the game and never trailed.
• Duquesne converted 35 Liberty turnovers into 36 points.
• The Lady Flames' top statistics included a +10 rebound margin (45-35), a 24-16 scoring edge inside the paint and holding the Dukes to 29.7 percent (19-of-64) field goal shooting on the night. It was the 56th straight time Liberty has kept its opponent below 50 percent shooting from the field.
• Devon Brown led all players with 19 points, moving into fifth place in Liberty history and 20th place in Big South history with 1,460 career points. The redshirt senior also became the ninth Lady Flame ever to reach 600 career rebounds.
• Brown made all eight of her free throw tries, helping Liberty shoot 81.3 percent (13-of-16) from the line for the game. Brown has now made 10 straight free throws, dating back to last season.
• One of four Lady Flames to make her collegiate debut at Duquesne, redshirt freshman Katelyn Adams finished with eight points, eight rebounds and a game-high three blocked shots. Her eight boards were the most by a Liberty player in her first collegiate game since Megan Frazee in 2005-06.
• Liberty was able to limit Wumi Agunbiade, the Atlantic 10 Conference's top returning scorer from 2011-12, to five points on 2-of-12 shooting from the field.
Liberty will look to avoid starting a season 0-2 for just the third time under head coach Carey Green. The 2000-01 and 2010-11 Lady Flames each dropped two straight games to open the year. Liberty has not lost three games in a row to begin a season since the 1993-94 Lady Flames got off to an 0-7 start.
The Liberty freshman quartet of Katelyn Adams, Sadalia Ellis, Jaymee Fisher-Davis and Ashley Rininger all made their collegiate debuts at Duquesne, leaving classmates Jessi Edmonds and Julia Winn as the only current Lady Flames yet to play in a collegiate game.
This will mark the first time Liberty has hosted multiple Preseason WNIT games during the same tournament. The Lady Flames also have the chance to win two Preseason WNIT contests during the same year for the first time in program history.
Trying On New Threads
Liberty will debut its new set of white uniforms this weekend, but the Lady Flames may be reluctant to change after going 57-10 in their previous set of white uniforms.