Flames Home > Men's Soccer Home > News

No. 6 Winthrop Defeats No. 3 Liberty, 2-1 in OT in Big South Men's Soccer Quarterfinals

November 6, 2012
|  Lynchburg, Va.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Photos
|   Box Score

Uriah Bentick

No. 6 seed Winthrop Eagles defeated the No. 3 seed Liberty Flames, 2-1 in overtime, in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Big South Men's Soccer Championship presented by Musco Sports Lighting Tuesday evening at Osborne Stadium. 

Liberty sees it nine game unbeaten streak come to the end and finishes the season at 8-7-3. Winthrop improves to 10-8-1 on the year and advances to the Big South semifinals, Friday.

After playing to a 1-1 tie during regulation, Mason Lavallet redirected a crossing pass in front of the goal into the left side of the net at 94:22 to give the Eagle's the 2-1 victory. Josh Mort and and Achille Obougou assisted on the game-winner, Lavellet's sixth goal of the season, to advance the Eagles.

Shots were at a premium during the first half of play. Visiting Winthrop outshot Liberty, 4-1.  However, neither team forced its opposing goalkeeper to make a save. Liberty's best opportunity may have come during the 27th minute, when midfielder Sachem Wilson took a feed into the center of 18-yard box and popped a shot just over the crossbar high from six yards out.  Winthrop's best chance may have come in the 35th minute. Obougou picked up a loose ball in the left corner of the box and pushed a shot attempt wide of the far right post.

Both teams picked up their attack during the second half. After a header by Eagle forward Obougou forced a save by Flames goalkeeper Scott Sutarik during the 54th minute, Liberty forward Tyler Bullock fired a shot from the top of the 18-yard box, which Winthrop goalkeeper Enrique Miranda stopped a minute later.

During the 58th minute, an Eagle foul gave Liberty a free kick from 20 yards out.  However, defender Uriah Bentick placed his shot high over the goal. Winthrop also came close in the 65th minute. Eagle Patrick Barnes lifted a shot from the right side of the box, which Big South All-Conference first team defender Greg White knocked down and cleared off the goal line.

The Flames took a 1-0 lead at 73:52.  On a free kick from 18 yards out, White tapped in the kick sent to the left post by Bentick. It was White's third goal of the year.

After a save of a shot by Winthrop's Daniel Dibiagio by Sutarik during the 82:19, the Eagles tied the contest. Sutarik's ensuing punt hit a player down field and deflected back toward the Liberty goal. Midfielder Marc Segarra jumped on the loose ball and lofted into the back of the net for his seventh goal of the year, tying the game, 1-1, at 82:33.

A shot by the Flames' Wilson from the right side of the box during the 85th minute from yards missed near side, sending the contest to overtime.

During overtime, Liberty forward Travis Joseph sent a shot from 20 yards out wide in the 94th minute. Moments later, Lavallet scored to advance the Eagles.

Winthrop outshot Liberty, 13-10, while the Flames held a 4-3 edge in corner kicks.  Eagle goalkeeper Miranda made three saves, while Sutarik recorded four saves for the Liberty.