Flames Home > Men's Soccer Home > News

Liberty Defeats Presbyterian College, 2-1

October 12, 2012
|  Clinton, S.C.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

Kyle Breitmeyer scored both of Liberty's goals, Friday.

Forward Kyle Breitmeyer scored twice and goalkeeper Scott Sutarik stopped a penalty kick in the closing minutes propelling the Liberty Flames past the  Presbyterian College Blue Hose in a Big South Conference match, 2-1, Friday at Martin Stadium.

Breitmeyer netted his first multiple-goal game of this career, scoring a marker in each half for the Flames. He has scored a goal in four of the last five Liberty contests.

After a hand ball in the 18-yard box was called on the Flames in the 85th minute, Sutarik made a diving stop of the ensuing penalty kick, the only shot he faced in the second half, to prevent the Blue Hose from tying the contest.

With the win, Liberty moves to 3-1 in Big South Conference play and 5-6 overall.  The Flames have won three straight contests. Presbyterian College falls to 2-4 in conference play and 3-11 overall.        

The host Blue Hose struck for the contest's first goal just minutes into the opening half.  Presbyterian College midfielder Ignacio Monchetti slipped a pass across the top of the 18-yard box to fellow midfielder Bryon Quinatoa.  The midfielder moved into open space and tucked a shot into the left corner of the net for his second goal of the year and quick 1-0 PC advantage.

Liberty tied the match during the 15th minute.  Forward Kyle Breitmeyer came free in transition for a shot one-on-one with Blue Hose goalkeeper Tyler Beadle and ripped an attempt off the keeper.  Breitmeyer pounced on the loose ball in front of the goal mouth and tapped it into the open net for his fourth goal of the year, knotting the contest at 1-1.

During the 25th minute, Beadle kept the game even by blocking an open shot by Flames midfielder Johnny Torres.  On a corner kick into the center of the box, the ball deflected off of several players and came free to Torres at the left post.  The junior blasted a shot, which Beadle blocked down with both hands and was cleared by the Blue Hose defense.

The half closed with Torres taking a pass at the top of the box and firing a shot, which was blocked down.  Fellow midfielder Rafael Amaya ran onto the loose ball and ripped a shot, which was stopped by Beadle.

Carrying the play for most of the half, Liberty outshot Presbyterian College, 14-3, and also held the edge in corner kicks at 5-3.

The second half opened with Flames defender Sam Duininck getting a shot attempt just inside the right side of the 18-yard box.  Beadle saw the attempt clearly and made the save.

Breitmeyer gave Liberty the lead at 56:37. Midfielder Blessing Tahuona pushed a pass into the right side of the box for the junior forward.  Breitmeyer moved past a Blue Hose defender and lifted a shot into the right side of the net for his fifth goal of the year, giving the Flames a 2-1 lead.

During the middle of the second half, the Flames continued to maintain ball possession. Liberty did not allow a shot by Presbyterian College, while attempting four shots.

In the 80th minute, a shot by Torres was stopped by Beadle.

The Blue Hose sent extra attackers forward in an attempt to find the equalizer with less than six minutes remaining. After Liberty goalkeeper Sutarik stopped forward Jonny Mercado's penalty kick at 84:49, the Blue Hose did get a corner kick opportunity during the 86th minute, but the Liberty quickly cleared the attempt, sealing the Flames' victory. The penalty kick was Presbyterian College's only shot of the second half.

Liberty outshot PC, 21-4, and held a 9-4 advantage in corner kicks in the contest.

Sutarik recorded two saves, playing all 90 minutes in the Flames goal.  Beadle made 10 saves for the Blue Hose.

Liberty next travels to Lexington, Va., for a Big South Conference match at VMI, Tuesday afternoon.  Match time is scheduled for 4 p.m.