Flames Home > Field Hockey Home > News

Lady Flames Drop 3-1 Decision to Longwood

September 18, 2012
|  Farmville, Va.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

Mercedes Cox

Attempting to win back-to-back NorPac Conference road games, the Liberty Lady Flames field hockey team fell to the Longwood Lancers, 3-1, on Tuesday evening.

The Lady Flames drop a game below .500 with the loss at 3-4 (1-1 NorPac), while Longwood picks up its second win of the season to improve to 2-7 (1-0 NorPac).

Liberty's Mercedes Cox recorded the first shot attempt of the game at the 32:21 mark of the first half, but her shot sailed wide.

Longwood's offense began to assert itself midway through the opening stanza. Stacey DeGrandhomme fired a trio of shots on goal, but Liberty's defense denied her on all three attempts, including a pair of saves by goalie Brooke Morley. A Christina Verhulst shot attempt was saved by Lady Flames' midfield Natalie Barr for her first defensive save of the season.

At the 17:12 mark of the first half, Liberty was awarded with the first of two consecutive penalty corners, but the Lady Flames failed to convert on both attempts.

Longwood broke the scoreless tie with just over 10 minutes remaining in the half as Jennifer Burris received a crossing pass right in front of the cage from Verhulst and snuck it past Morley to put the Lancers up, 1-0.

The Lancers held the 1-0 advantage after the first 35 minutes of action. Longwood outshot the Lady Flames, 7-2, in the opening frame and tallied four penalty corners to Liberty's two.

Longwood extended its lead to 3-0 with a pair of goals less than a minute apart from each other early on in the second half. DeGrandhomme scored on a direct corner with 25:31 remaining in the contest. A double assist was awarded on the play to Burris and Kaity Byrum. One minute and nine seconds later, Kim Ruiter tipped a long pass from Verhulst into the cage to push the Lancers' advantage to three goals.

Liberty picked it up offensively in the final 15 minutes, notching five shots and earning four penalty corners during that span.

The Lady Flames tallied their lone goal of the night with 6:35 remaining in the game. Sarah Gipe collected a loose ball in front of the Lancers' cage and tipped it past Longwood goalie Meg Mitchell for her team-leading fourth goal of the season.

Last-minute shot attempts for the Lady Flames by Gipe and Abbey Basom proved unsuccessful as Longwood held on for the 3-1 victory.

For the game, Longwood tallied 13 shots and seven penalty corners, while Liberty had seven shots and six penalty corners.

Liberty's Morley recorded four saves, while Mitchell stopped two shots for the Lancers. 

The Lady Flames will be back in action on Friday at home versus Robert Morris. Game time at the Liberty Field Hockey Field is set for 3 p.m.