Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Closes Out Regular Season at Radford
LIBERTY AT RAFORD
RU Baseball Stadium| Radford, Va.
Finishing on the Road
• Liberty will finish out the 2012 regular season with three games this weekend. The Flames will travel to Radford for a three-game Big South series, beginning Thursday.
• Liberty enters the weekend with a 16-7 record away from Lynchburg. The Flames are 11-6 in away games and 5-1 in neutral site games.
New Format for Big South Baseball Championship
• Saturday will be the final day of the 2012 Big South regular season.
• On Tuesday, the 2012 Big South Championship will get underway at Coy O. Willard Stadium in High Point, N.C., with four games throughout the day.
• This season, the championship will have a new format, with eight teams in the tournament. Where a team finishes in the Big South regular season standings will determine its seed.
• The field will be split into two double-elimination brackets. The No. 1, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 8 seeds will be in one bracket, while the No. 2, No. 3, No. 6 and No. 7 seeds will be in the other bracket.
• The winners of each bracket will meet for the Big South title and an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament in a single game on Saturday.
Liberty's Big South Championship Scenarios
• Liberty enters the weekend in third place. The Flames are one game behind second place Campbell and one game ahead of three teams - Charleston Southern, Radford and UNC Asheville.
• Depending on this weekend's results, the Flames can finish no higher than second place and no lower than sixth place in the Big South standings.
Flames Tie Big South Shutout Record
• With an 5-0 win over High Point this past Friday, Liberty recorded its 10th shutout of the season, tying the 2000 Winthrop Eagles for the Big South record.
• RHPs John Niggli and Patrick Bankemper combined on the shutout. The two stranded High Point runners at third base on three occasions in the contest.
• The Flames had already more than doubled the previous Liberty record of four shutouts in the year.
• The 1978, 1981 and 2001 teams each pitched four shutouts in a year to set the previous standard.
Haley Enters Season Doubles List
• SS Zack Haley entered Liberty's season Top 10 list, collecting his 19th double this year, this past weekend.
• With that total, the senior's season ranks ninth on the school's list.
• Last season, Haley had 10 doubles.
• Former Liberty outfielder Phillip Laurent tops the doubles list with 27 doubles in 2006.
Parmley Enters Season Runs Scoring List
• OF Ian Parmley has moved in Liberty's Top 10 season list in runs scored with 61.
• The senior has plated 61 this season, tying him for sixth on Liberty's season list.
• Parmley is tied with former Liberty standouts P.J. Jimenez (2010), Jeremiah Boles (2004), Joey
Monahan (2002), and Jason Benham (1998) on the season run scoring list.
• He ranks second in the Big South in the category and entered the week seventh nationally.
• Parmley has already surpassed his 2011 total of 48 runs scored. In both seasons, he has led the Flames in the category.