Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Faces Virginia Tech in Final Midweek Contest of Regular Season
LIBERTY AT VIRGINIA TECH
English Field | Blacksburg, Va.
Finishing on the Road
• Liberty will finish out the 2012 regular season with four road games this week. The Flames will travel to Virginia Tech for a single game on Tuesday and Radford for a three-game Big South series, beginning Thursday.
• Liberty enters the week with a 16-6 record away from Lynchburg. The Flames are 11-5 in away games and 5-1 in neutral site games.
Flames Tie Big South Shutout Record
• With an 5-0 win over High Point on Friday, Liberty recorded its 10th shutout of the season, tying the 2000 Winthrop Eagles for the Big South record.
• RHPs John Niggli and Patrick Bankemper combined on the shutout. The two stranded High Point runners at third base on three occasions in the contest.
• The Flames had already more than doubled the previous Liberty record of four shutouts in the year.
• The 1978, 1981 and 2001 teams each pitched four shutouts in a year to set the previous standard.
Four Years of 35 or More Wins
• With a 6-3 victory over High Point this past Saturday, the Flames won their 36th win of the year.
• In four of Jim Toman's five years at the helm of the program, Liberty has posted 35 or victories in four of them.
• In 2010, the Flames won a school-record 43 games under Toman.
• Liberty has won 30 or more games in each of the past eight years.
Parmley Among Top Liberty Career Base Swipers
• OF Ian Parmley enters the week with 53 career stolen bases. The total places him eighth on Liberty's career list.
• The senior is two stolen bases behind former Flame Aaron Grijalva, who stole 55 bases from 2005-08.
• For the second consecutive season, Parmley's has entered the program's season top 10 list in the category. Currently, he has 26 steals, which is second in the Big South Conference, and eight on Liberty's season list.
• He is one shy of his 2011 total of 27, which ranks sixth on Liberty's season list.
Haley Enters Season Doubles List
• Shortstop Zack Haley entered Liberty's season Top 10 list, collecting his 19th double this year.
• With that total, the senior's season ranks ninth on the school's list.
• Last season, Haley had 10 doubles.
• Former Liberty outfielder Phillip Laurent tops the doubles list with 27 doubles in 2006.