Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
No. 3 Seed Coastal Carolina Eliminates Lady Flames, 4-0
The Liberty women's tennis team dropped its opening round matchup against No. 3 seed Coastal Carolina, Thursday evening, to be eliminated from the Big South Women's Tennis Championship.
Liberty concludes the 2012 season with an 11-12 record. The Chanticleers will advance to tomorrow's semifinal round, where they will take on No. 2 seed Charleston Southern at 1 p.m. The Bucs defeated No. 7 Campbell, 4-0, this afternoon in championship play.
Beginning with doubles play, the Lady Flames nearly claimed the match's opening point. Sophomores Rebekah Jenkins and Alexandra Sheeran won the No. 2 doubles match swiftly, defeating Katie Fosnacht and Mikaela Kristofersson, 8-3. The Chanticleers then grabbed the lead doubles match, with Miki Bunea and Diana Mortlock taking a slim 8-6 win over Cameron Richard and Brittany Yang.
Kristofersson then avenged her and Fosnacht's doubles loss, opening singles play with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Jenkins in the No. 4 match.
The Chants then grabbed a strong 3-0 lead behind a win at No. 6, with Kowal defeating Nicola Wellman, 6-0, 7-5.
Fosnacht wrapped up the match for higher-seeded Coastal Carolina, taking a straight-set win over Yang, 6-2, 6-0, in the No. 3 contest.
Coastal Carolina 4, Liberty 0
1. Bunea/Mortlock (CCU) def. Richard/Yang (LU), 8-6
2. Jenkins/Sheeran (LU) def. Fosnacht/Kristofersson (CCU), 8-3
3. Hesketh/Boda (CCU) def. Boda/Lobel (LU), 9-8
1. Bunea (CCU) vs. Sheeran (LU) unfinished
2. Morlock (CCU) vs. Richard (LU), unfinished
3. Fosnacht (CCU) def. Yang (LU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Kristofersson (CCU) def. Jenkins (LU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Malatek (CCU) vs. Lobel (LU), unfinished
6. Kowal (CCU) def. Wellman (LU), 6-0, 7-5