Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Heads to State of North Carolina for 4 Games
LIBERTY at NORTH CAROLINA
Boshamer Stadium | Chapel Hill, N.C.
Wednesday, April 18 - 6 p.m.
LIBERTY at UNC ASHEVILLE
Greenwood Field | Asheville, N.C.
2012 Flames Reach 30 Wins the Fastest
• With their 11-1 win over Winthrop on Sunday, the 2012 Liberty Flames recorded their 30th win of the year in their 39th game.
• Head Coach Jim Toman's team matches the 1981 Liberty team by reaching 30 wins during a season the fastest in program.
• Liberty had won 30 games in each of Toman's first five years and the program's eighth consecutive year of 30 or more victories.
Cordell, Niggli Garner Big South Weekly Honors
• Liberty right-hander John Niggli was named the Big South Pitcher of the Week and right fielder Ryan Cordell Co-Player of the Week for games played April 10-17.
• It is the third time this season that Niggli has received the weekly award. He was previously tabbed the conference's Pitcher of the Week for Feb. 17-19 and Feb. 27-March 4.
• In earning his first-ever weekly award, Cordell hit .692 during Liberty's series win at Winthrop this past weekend. He posted multiple hits in all three games, including three hits in the series opener on Friday and four hits in the final game of the series, Sunday.
Taking to the Road
• This past week, the Flames began a nine-game road swing, its longest of the year.
• During the swing, Liberty will play the nine games in a span of 12 days. The trip will take Flames to the states of North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.
• So far, the Flames are 2-2 on the swing.
• Liberty sports one of the top road records in the country, having posted an 13-4 record away from
home this season.
• The Flames are 8-3 in road games and 5-1 in games played at neutral sites so far in 2012.
• Liberty opened the year by winning its first 11 road games. Currenlty, the streak is the longest by any team in the country this season.
Among the Nation's Elite
• Liberty enters the week tied for second in country in wins. The Flames are tied with Baylor, Campbell and UCF with 30 wins. Kentucky leads the nation with 32 wins.
• Liberty is second in the nation in scoring margin. The Flames and have averaged 3.9 more runs per game than their opponents this season. Campbell tops the category with a 4.2 average.