Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Visit Winthrop, Georgia to Start Road Trip
LIBERTY at WINTHROP
Winthrop Ballpark | Rock Hill, S.C.
LIBERTY at GEORGIA
Foley Field | Athens, Ga.
Taking to the Road
• This weekend, the Flames begin a nine-game road swing, its longest of the year.
• Liberty will play the nine games in a span of 12 days, starting Friday. The trip will take Flames to the states of North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.
• Liberty sports one of the top road records in the country, having posted an 11-2 record away from
home this season.
• The Flames are 6-1 in road games and 5-1 in games played at neutral sites so far in 2012.
Among the Nation's Elite
• Liberty enters the weekend tied for second in country in wins. The Flames are tied with Campbell and UCF with 28 wins. Kentucky leads the nation with 30 wins.
• Liberty is second in the nation in scoring margin. The Flames and have averaged 4.0 more runs per game than their opponents this season. Campbell tops the category with a 4.3 average.
• Liberty is tied for eighth in the country in the runs allowed per game. The Flames have allowed 3.4 runs per game, tying them with Hawaii, Miami (Fla.), Texas State and William & Mary.
• 2B Bryan Aanderud hit .500 over his last five games to raise his team-leading batting average to .415
• Aanderud enters the weekend second in batting average (.415), RBIs (36) and hits (54) in Big South Conference.
• OF Ian Parmley is second in the Big South with 44 runs scored
• Parmley, who was third in the Big South last season with 27 stolen bases, is currently second in the league with 21 steals. He also second in the conference in walks and fourth in hits.
• 1B Alex Close and OF Andy Smith are tied for the team lead and third in the Big South with six home runs.
• Close is on a career-high seven game hit streak.
• C Trey Wimmer has thrown out 19 would be base stealers this season to lead the Big South.
• RHP John Niggli is tied with teammate RHP Patrick Eckelbarger for the Big South lead in wins with a 6-0 records.
• Niggli is fourth in the conference with 55.0 innings pitched.
• Eckelbarger is the third toughest pitcher to hit in the Big South Conference. Opponents are batting .188 against him.
• SS Zack Haley is tied for second in the Big South Conference with 13 doubles. Haley had 10 doubles during the entire 2011 season.