Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Visits VCU for Midweek Tilt
LIBERTY at VCU
The Diamond | Richmond, Va.
2012 Flames Reach 25 Wins the Fastest
• With their 9-5 win over Marshall this past Saturday, the 2012 Liberty Flames recorded their 25th win of the year in their 30th game.
• It is the earliest in a season that the Flames have posted 25 victories in program history.
• The 1976 and 1980 Liberty teams reached 25 wins in their 32nd game (25-7).
Among the Nation's Elite
• Liberty enters the week tied for second in country in wins. The Flames are tied with fellow Big South member Campbell with 25. Kentucky leads the nation with 27 wins.
• Liberty's .806 winning percentage is the sixth best in the nation. Kentucky also leads the category with a .931 winning percentage.
• The Flames enters the week tied for fourth in runs allowed per game. Liberty has allowed 3.2 runs per game. Portland leads the country, yielding 2.8 runs per game.
• Liberty leads the nation in scoring margin. The Flames and have averaged 4.5 more runs per game than their opponents.
Sharing the Saves
• Liberty begins the week with eight saves, with seven different Flames having recorded one.
• This past Friday, LHP Jared Lyons became the seventh different Liberty to earn a save in a 8-4 win over Marshall in Beckley, W.Va. It was the first collegiate save for the freshman.
• Saturday, Lyons became the first Liberty pitcher to record two saves. He retired the first seven batters he face and pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings to close out a 9-5 Flames win over Marshall.
Scoring First = Win
• A strong indicator of a Liberty victory this season has been whether the Flames score first in a contest.
• Liberty is 21-1 when scoring a game's first run this season.
• The Flames had won 21 straight contests in which they scored the first run of the game. The streak came to an end Sunday in a 12-10 setback to Marshall in Beckley, W.Va.
• Liberty has also scored a run in the first inning 15 times this season. The Flames are 13-2 in such occasions.
• Liberty collected 17 hits in a 9-5 win over Marshall, a new season high, this past Saturday.
• The Flames have had 10 or more hits in a contest 21 times this year.
• Liberty enters the week tied for second in country in wins. The Flames are tied with fellow Big South member Campbell with 25.
• Liberty's .806 winning percentage is the sixth best in the nation. Kentucky leads the category with a .931 winning percentage.
• Liberty leads the nation in scoring margin. The Flames and have averaged 4.5 more runs per game than their opponents. The Flames also enter the week tied for fourth in runs allowed per game, allowing 3.2 runs per game.
• Liberty's road winning streak came to halt at 11 games in Sunday's 12-10 setback to Marshall. Currently, the 11-game run is the longest road winning streak of any team in the nation this season.
• Liberty has posted 237 runs through Sunday, the most in the Big South Conference and the second most among NCAA Division I teams.