Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Completes Homestand with Night Contest against VCU
VCU at LIBERTY
Worthington Stadium | Lynchburg, Va.
Among the Nation's Elite
• Liberty enters the week second in country with 23 wins. The Flames are tied with fellow Big South member
Campbell. Kentucky leads the nation with 24 wins.
• Liberty's .852 winning percentage is the seventh best in the nation. Kentucky also leads the category with
a .960 winning percentage.
• The Flames lead the country in runs allowed per game. Liberty enters the week, yielding 2.7 runs per
• Liberty is also tied for the lead nationally in scoring margin. The Flames and have averaged 5.0 more runs
per game than their opponents, tying them with the Stanford Cardinal.
• Liberty is 14-3 (.824) in the month of March. The Flames are 59-32 (.648) during the month under head coach Jim
• The Flames are 14-4 (.778) at home this season and 83-37-1 (.690) at Worthington Stadium under head
coach Jim Toman.
• Liberty enters the week with the sixth lowest ERA in the nation (2.39).
• Liberty has scored 208 runs this season, the fi fth most among NCAA Division I teams.
• With an 8-0 win over Gardner-Webb this past Friday, Liberty has recorded eight shutouts this season, setting a new program record. The Flames have doubled the previous record of four.
A Season of Win Streaks
• Liberty has had three winning streaks of seven or more games this season.
• The Flames had their second seven-game winning streak halted Saturday.
• Liberty's longest win streak is nine games from Feb. 26-March 10.
• The nine-game win streak ties the Liberty NCAA Division I record, which has been reached six times.
• The program record is 15 set in 1976, the program's third year in existence.
Catching Base Theives
• Entering the week, Liberty has allowed only eight stolen bases.
• Catcher Trey Wimmer has thrown out 10 base runners and enters the week having caught 56
percent of would be base stealers.
Run Scoring Duo
• Liberty outfielders Ian Parmley and Andy Smith entered the week tied for second in the Big South
Conference with 33 runs scored.
• The two are also among the top five in the country in runs scored, ranking fifth
• The fi rst two hitters in the Flames' line-up, Smith was second in the country with 30 runs, while
Parmley was third with 29 runs.
• The two have helped Liberty post 208 runs through Sunday, the fi fth most among NCAA Division
Pitchers Niggli, Eckelbarger Pace Conference
• Seniors John Niggli and Patrick Eckelbarger open the week atop the Big South rankings in wins.
• Niggli leads the conference with a 6-0 record, while Eckelbarger is second with a 5-0 mark.
• Niggli leads the nation in wins with his 6-0 mark.
• Niggli also has pitched the most innings of any Big South Conference pitcher this season, with 44
• Eckelbarger has been the hardest pitcher to hit in the conference. Opponents have posted a
.153 batting average against the right-hander.
• As a team, Liberty enters the week with the sixth lowest ERA in the nation.