Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Fall Versus Campbell
After dropping the doubles point for the first time in the last nine matches, the Liberty men's tennis team could not rally, as Campbell claimed the 5-2 Big South victory, Friday afternoon.
Liberty falls to 10-5 after its second straight loss, and 1-2 in conference contests. Campbell levels both its overall and conference marks, at 7-7 and 2-2, respectively.
Two Liberty duos suffered their first losses of 2012 in doubles play, allowing the Camels to take the 1-0 lead into singles. Siim Tuus and Giancarlo Lemmi fell in the lead match, to snap their seven match win streak. Meanwhile, Shea Thomas and Tristan Stayt had their six match streak halted.
While the Flames were able to get a pair of singles wins in the final two slots, the Camels took the top four matches en route to the victory. Thomas and freshman Dillon Segur each battled back in the No. 3 and No. 4 matches after dropping the opening set, but their Camel counterparts both took the decisive set.
Mandeep Yadav notched his second singles victory of the season, taking the No. 5 match over August Iwdal, 7-5, 6-4.
Freshman Jorge Azuero also took a straight-set match for Liberty, defeating Steven Billington, 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 6 match.
The Flames return to action on Sunday with another Big South matchup. Liberty will take on Presbyterian College at 1 p.m., in Clinton, S.C.
Campbell 5, Liberty 2
1. Rossignon/Baro (CU) def. Tuus/Lemmi (LU), 8-3
2. Guillen/Clavera (CU) def. Thomas/Stayt (LU), 8-4
3. Iwdal/Kralik (CU) def. Segur/Yadav (LU), 8-4
1. Rossignon (CU) def. Tuus (LU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Guillen (CU) def. Lemmi (LU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Clavera (CU) def. Thomas (LU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
4. Baro (CU) def. Segur (LU), 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
5. Yadav (LU) def. Iwdal (CU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Azuero (LU) def Billington (CU), 6-4, 6-2