Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Dukes Rally to Snap Liberty Win Streak
The Liberty men's tennis team came within one point from posting its eighth straight win, but homestanding James Madison rallied to take the last three singles matches and defeat the Flames, 4-3, Tuesday afternoon.
Liberty's record now stands at 10-4, as its seven match win streak is snapped. The Dukes level off at 6-6 with the victory.
In doubles, the Flames did just as they had the previous seven matches, claiming the doubles point. Siim Tuus and Giancarlo Lemmi took the No. 1 doubles match convincingly, 8-1, over Bertrand Moulin and Greg Vladimirsky to improve to 7-0 as a tandem. Similarly, Tristan Stayt and Shea Thomas improved to 6-0 as a pair, downing Ryan Pool and Florent Sentenac, 8-5. James Madison took the No. 3 match, but Liberty held the 1-0 advantage.
In singles, the Dukes started off by squaring the match with a win in the No. 6 slot. Liberty responded by taking the No. 1 and No. 3 matches.
Tuus reached the 10-win plateau with the victory at No. 1, as he downed Vladimirsky, 6-4, 6-1.
Lemmi's win in the No. 3 slot came over Moulin, with the Liberty junior claiming the contest, 6-4, 6-2, and giving Liberty a 3-1 advantage.
However, the Dukes wrapped up the match by taking the final three singles matches en route to the come-from-behind victory.
The Flames will look to start a new streak on Friday, as they welcome Campbell back to the Big South. Match time in Buies Creek, N.C., is slated for 2 p.m.
James Madison 4, Liberty 3
1. Tuus/Lemmi (LU) def. Moulin/Vladimirsky (JMU), 8-1
2. Stayt/Thomas (LU) def. Pool/Sentenac (JMU), 8-5
3. Nissinen/Ramadier (JMU) def. Yadav/Harrell (LU), 8-5
1. Tuus (LU) def. Vladimirsky (JMU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Pool (JMU) def. Thomas (LU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Lemmi (LU) def. Moulin (JMU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Sentenac (JMU) def. Segur (LU), 6-4, 6-3
5. Ramadier (JMU) def. Stayt (LU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Nissinen (JMU) def Harrell (LU), 6-2, 6-1