Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
CSU Halts Lady Flames' Win Streak
Playing a road Big South matchup, the Liberty women's tennis team's three match win streak came to an end, Friday, as Charleston Southern picked up the 6-1 win at the Buccaneer Tennis Center.
The Lady Flames fall to 4-10 for the year and 0-3 in conference meetings. Charleston Southern remains unbeaten at home, 8-0, with the win. The Bucs are 8-1 overall and 2-0 in Big South play.
Charleston Southern leapt out to a 1-0 lead behind three doubles victories. Liberty's No. 1 duo of Cameron Richard and Brittany Yang provided the most opposition to the Bucs in doubles, but still fell by an 8-4 margin to Olga Makhova and Marija Dzakovic.
CSU continued its strong home play in singles, winning five matches in straight sets.
Richard notched the Lady Flames' sole team point in the morning match, picking up a win in the No. 2 slot of head coach Chris Johnson's lineup. The sophomore knocked off Angelica Sidorenko, 6-4, 6-1, for her fourth singles win of 2012.
The Lady Flames step back out of conference play tomorrow, as they wrap up their fourth match in a five-day stretch. Liberty will welcome Hampton to the Hershey Tennis Courts for a 1:30 p.m. meeting.
Charleston Southern 6, Liberty 1
1. Makhova/Dzakovic (CSU) def. Richard/Yang (LU), 8-4
2. Hubler/Walters (CSU) def. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU), 8-3
3. Nour/Sidorenko (CSU) def. Wellman/Boda (LU), 8-2
1. Makhova (CSU) def. Sheeran (LU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Richard (LU) def. Sidorenko (CSU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Hubler (CSU) def. Yang (LU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Dzakovic (CSU) def. Jenkins (LU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Walters (CSU) def. Wellman (LU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Nour (CSU) def. Domenech (LU), 6-1, 6-2