Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Secure 6th Straight Win
The Liberty men's tennis team continued its hot streak, Wednesday morning, defeating Chicago State, 7-0. The shutout is the Flames' fourth of the year.
Liberty ups its record to 9-3 with its sixth straight win, marking the program's longest win streak since an eight game stretch in 2003. Chicago State remains winless on the year at 0-11.
Liberty quickly gained a 1-0 advantage with the doubles point. The Cougars had to default in the No. 3 match, while Tristan Stayt and Shea Thomas defeated Sergiu Muresan and Rashley Yeremia, 8-2 in the No. 2 slot. Siim Tuus and Giancarlo Lemmi claimed an 8-5 win in the lead match, taking down Mario Naboa and Julian Chavez.
Chicago State then defaulted the No. 6 singles match, to give the Flames a 2-0 lead.
Liberty continued the morning sweep by only allowing Chicago State to win a combined 11 games in the five singles contests.
Tuus and freshman Jorge Azuero both won by 6-1, 6-1 decisions in the No. 1 and No. 4 matches, respectively. Tuus defeated Naboa, while Azuero outhit Yeremia. Azuero's victory keeps him perfect in limited singles action this season, at 4-0.
Mandeep Yadav closed out the 7-0 win with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Sergiu Muresan in the No. 3 match.
The Flames will now return home and resume Big South play. On Sunday, Liberty will welcome Gardner-Webb to the Hershey Tennis Courts for a 1 p.m. conference contest.
Liberty 7, Chicago State 0
1. Tuus/Lemmi (LU) def. Naboa/Chavez (CST), 8-5
2. Harrell/Stayt (LU) def. Muresan/Yeremia (CST), 8-2
3. Yadav/Slamecka (LU) wins by default
1. Tuus (LU) def. Naboa (CST), 6-1, 6-1
2. Segur (LU) def. Chavez (CST), 6-1, 6-0
3. Yadav (LU) def. Muresan (CST), 6-2, 6-4
4. Azuero (LU) def. Yeremia (CST), 6-1, 6-1
5. Slamecka (LU) def. Ulloa (CST), 6-0, 6-0
6. Harrell (LU) wins by default