Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Win 4th Straight
By defeating Coker by an 8-1 margin, Saturday, the Liberty men's tennis team picked up its fourth consecutive victory.
Liberty is now 7-3, while Coker falls to 4-6.
Liberty went up 3-0 behind three doubles victories, with all matches counting for a point in the contest. Siim Tuus and Giancarlo Lemmi defeated Leonardo Lima and Manel Estruga, 8-5 in the No. 1 match, while Mandeep Yadav and Wayne Harrell were victors in the No. 3 match against Billy Simpson and Ricardo Perez by the same score. Shea Thomas and Tristan Stayt took down Guillermo Aylon and James Corfield, 8-3 in the No. 2 contest.
The Flames then rattled through the singles matches, taking five of the six, with all victories coming in straight sets.
Playing No. 1, Thomas defeated Lima with a pair of 6-1 sets. Stayt also eased through his No. 2 match, downing Aylon, 6-2, 6-3, for his fifth singles win of the season.
After a three-set Coker win in the No. 3 slot, Liberty's freshman cleaned up the bottom portion of the lineup, only allowing the Cobras to win five games.
Harrell upped his singles record to 7-2, defeating Corfield, 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 4 match.
The Flames now continue to Florida for a pair of spring break matches against NJIT and Chicago State. The team's first match is slated for Wednesday, with an 8 a.m. start time.
Liberty 8, Coker 1
1. Tuus/Lemmi (LU) def. Lima/Estruga (C), 8-5
2. Stayt/Thomas (LU) def. Aylon/Corfield (C), 8-3
3. Harrell/Yadav (LU) def. Simpson/Perez (C), 8-5
1. Thomas (LU) def. Lima (C), 6-1, 6-1
2. Stayt (LU) def. Aylon (C), 6-2, 6-3
3. Estruga (C) def. Yadav (LU), 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 10-6
4. Harrell (LU) def. Corfield (C), 6-2, 6-2
5. Segur (LU) def. Simpson (C), 6-1, 6-0
6. Azuero (LU) def. Perez (C), 6-0, 6-0