Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Swept by Thundering Herd
After taking all three of the opening doubles matches, Marshall continued its momentum through singles, en route to a 7-0 sweep of the Liberty women's tennis team, Friday, at the Huntington Tennis Club.
The Lady Flames dropped their third consecutive match to drop to 1-6, while Marshall snapped a three-match slide of its own to improve to 4-6.
Playing inside due to weather, the Thundering Herd took the doubles point quickly, with wins in the No. 1 and No. 2 matches, 8-2 and 8-4, respectively.
Despite several close matches, the Lady Flames could not earn a team point, as homestanding Marshall took each of the six singles matches.
Cameron Richard fought hard in the No. 2 match, with her counterpart Maria Voscekova having to take each set with a tiebreak for the victory, 7-6, 7-6.
Meanwhile, freshman Nicola Wellman's three-match singles win streak was halted, with Kristina Koprcina claiming a three-set win in the No. 5 contest. Wellman took the first set, 6-4, but Koprcina rallied back with sets of 6-2, and a rally-scored 10-4 to continue the sweep.
Lobel faced a similar situation in the No. 6 match, winning the first set, 6-3, and dropping the second, 7-6, to Kia Broomfield. Broomfield completed her team's 7-0 blanking by taking the third, 10-6.
The Lady Flames will look to stop its three-match losing streak tomorrow, when they continue on the road against ETSU in Johnson City, Tenn. Match time is slated for 2 p.m.
Marshall 7, Liberty 0
1. Zaprazna/Voscekova (MU) def. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU), 8-2
2. Ball/Kucin (MU) def. Yang/Wellman (LU), 8-4
3. Broomfield/Timko (MU) def. Richard/Lobel (LU), 8-6
1. Zaprazna (MU) def. Sheeran (LU), 6-3, 7-5
2. Voscekova (MU) def. Richard (LU), 7-6, 7-6
3. Ball (MU) def. Jenkins (LU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Kucin (MU) def. Yang (LU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Koprcina (MU) def. Wellman (LU), 4-6, 6-2, 10-4
6. Broomfield (MU) def. Lobel (LU), 3-6, 7-6, 10-6