Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty to Visit Virginia, James Madison for Midweek Contests
LIBERTY vs. VIRGINIA
Davenport Field | Charlottesville, Va.
LIBERTY vs. JAMES MADISON
Eagle Stadium | Harrisonburg, Va.
Last Five Games:
• Liberty has hit .321 as a team over its last five games.
• SS Zack Haley and 2B Bryan Aanderud both hit over .500 during the stretch
- Haley (.538, 7/13) - three-hit game Sunday in 4-2 win over Siena
- Aanderud (.533, 8/15) - two three-hit games during stretch - both against Siena
• RHP Patrick Eckelbarger recorded his fi rst complete game and shutout in a 1-0 win over Siena, Saturday.
He also struck out a career-high six batters in the seven-inning game.
First Nine Games:
• 2B Bryan Aanderud has hit .500 to open the year. He has already posted three three-hit games and has
five multiple-hit games.
• RHP Patrick Eckelbarger has not allowed a run over 12 innings to start the year.
• LHP Shawn Clowers picked up his fi rst collegiate win with five hitless, scoreless innings, Sunday.
• The Flames began the year by not allowing a run for 23 consecutive innings. It is the longest such streak
in program history.
• Liberty opened the season with back-to-back shutouts. It is the first time in the program's 38-year history
the Flames have opened a season with two shutouts.
• The back-to-back shutouts were the fi rst by the Flames since March 1996. Liberty blanked Delaware St.
twice at the North Florida Tournament by the identical score of 5-0.
• James Madison has been the most frequently played non-conference opponent in Liberty baseball program
• Liberty is 81-38 (.681) all-time in the month of February. The Flames are 25-9 under Jim Toman during
• Liberty has opened each even year during head coach Jim Toman's tenure with at least fi ve straight
victories. Besides a 7-0 start to this season, the Flames posted a 9-0 beginning to 2010 and a 5-0 start to
the 2008 season.
• Liberty turned four double plays in its 6-2 win over Siena, Friday. The four double plays were the most by
the Flames in a game since since March 12, 2010, when Liberty turned fi ve double plays in a 9-1 victory
over St. John's.
• OF Michael Robertson is the only Liberty player to have at least one hit in each game this season.
• 2B Bryan Aanderud leads the Flames in hitting with a .500 batting average.
• Aanderud has recorded three three-hit games already this season.
• LHP Shawn Clowers posted his fi rst collegiate win, Sunday. The freshman pitched five no-hit, scoreless
innings, as Liberty defeated Siena, 4-2.
• LHP Tim Dudley recorded his fi rst collegiate save with 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief, last Wednesday in
a 6-3 win over Radford.
• LHP Jared Lyons has made a team-high four appearances.
• RHP Patrick Eckelbarger recorded his first shutout and complete in a 1-0 win over Siena, Saturday. He
allowed three hits in the seven-inning game.
• Eckelbarger has not allowed a run in his first two outings. The RHP has pitched 12 scoreless innings to
begin the year.
• OF Andy Smith was 3-for-4 with his first home run of the year, last Wednesday. Smith has had a hit in
each of Liberty's fi rst seven games this season.
• Trey Wimmer, who started 93 careeer games at first base in 2009 and 2010, returned from injury sustained
in 2011 this past weekend. Wimmer has started each of Liberty's nine games and has started at
catcher, first base and third base already this season.
• Zack Haley hit .538 (7-for-13) in his last fi ve games. The shortstop drove in four runs and scored three