Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Drop Big South Opener
The Liberty women's tennis team fell in its first Big South Conference matchup of the season, Saturday, as homestanding Coastal Carolina picked up the 6-1 win.
The Chanticleers (4-0) picked up a quick 1-0 lead after allowing the Lady Flames (1-5) to only win one game in the top two doubles contests. They also claimed the No. 3 match to sweep doubles play.
In singles, Coastal Carolina wrapped up the team victory quickly, taking each of the first four matches to go final.
Despite the match being clinched, Liberty freshman Nicola Wellman fought hard in her No. 5 singles match against Maria Hesketh. After dropping the first set, Wellman bounced back to level the match by taking the second set, 6-3. The Spring Hill, Fla., native then claimed the deciding set in rally scoring, 10-7, for her third-consecutive singles victory.
The Chanticleers claimed the last match of the day to secure the 6-1 win.
Liberty will continue in conference action on Wednesday, when the team travels to meet Radford in a 2 p.m. contest.
Coastal Carolina 6, Liberty 1
1. Bunea/Mortlock (CCU) def. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU), 8-1
2. Kristofersson/Fosnacht (CCU) def. Wellman/Yang (LU), 8-0
3. Kowal/Hesketh (CCU) def. Richard/Lobel (LU), 8-7 (5)
1. Bunea (CCU) def. Sheeran (LU), 7-5, 6-2
2. Mortlock (CCU) def. Richard (LU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Kristofersson (CCU) def. Jenkins (LU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Fosnacht (CCU) def. Yang (LU), 6-3, 6-0
5. Wellman (LU) def. Hesketh (CCU), 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
6. Kowal (CCU) def. Lobel (LU), 6-3, 6-4