Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty Baseball to Open Season at the Citadel Challenge
THE CITADEL CHALLENGE
Riley Stadium | Charleston, S.C.
• AT THE CITADEL CHALLENGE: Liberty previously played in the tournament in 2007, when it was named the Crab House Shootout. The Flames went 2-1 in the tournament, defeating Richmond and host The Citadel. Liberty fell to No. 1 South Carolina, who had current Flames head coach Jim Toman as an assistant coach.
• SERIES WITH LIBERTY: Richmond leads, 23-17. The teams have not met since 2007. Towson leads, 10-8. The programs have not met since 1995. The Citadel leads, 3-1. The teams have not met since 2007. Liberty has never played any of the teams in the tournament field under head coach Jim Toman.
• Liberty was picked to finish second in the 2012 Big South Preseason Poll. The Flames have finished second in the conference standings in three of the last four season, including last year.
• Liberty's contest with Richmond on Friday will be the 39th season opener in program history. The Flames are 24-12 in season openers since 1976. The program was started in 1974. Under head coach Jim
Toman, Liberty is 2-2.
• Liberty is 73-37 (.664) all-time in the month of February. The Flames are 17-8 under Jim Toman during the month. Liberty has gone unbeaten in the month twice during Toman's four years, posting a 5-0 mark in 2008 and a 6-0 record in 2010.
• The Flames hold a 54-33 record against current members of the Atlantic 10 (A-10).
• The Flames hold a 130-170 record against current members of the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).
• The Flames hold a 42-41 record against current members of the Southern Conference (SoCon).
• Liberty had seven players selected in the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft, a school record. The
number also tied a Big South Conference record, matching the number of players drafted from the 2007 and 2010 Coastal Carolina teams.
• The Flames stole 119 bases in 2011, the most by a Liberty team since 2001, when the Flames had a school-record 196 stolen bases.
• Liberty finished the season seventh in the nation in the statistical category and led the Big South Conference. The Flames had a 79.3 percent stolen base success rate (119-150).
PLAYER QUICK HITS
• No Liberty player on the 2012 roster has faced any of the teams in this weekend's Citadel Challenge.
• The Flames roster has 16 returners and 16 newcomers.
• OF Ian Parmley led the Flames and finished third in the Big South Conference with 27 stolen bases in 2011.
• Parmley's 27 steals were the most by a Liberty player since 2004, when outfielder Jeremiah Boles had 31 stolen bases.
• Parmley also led Liberty with 48 runs scored in 2011. He was seventh in the Big South in the category.
• Slated to start in right field, OF Michael Robertson has been the starter at the position since arriving at Liberty in 2009.
• Robertston led Liberty in hitting (.345) and RBIs (20) in Big South Conference play last season.
• Robertson was second on the team in 2011 with a .384 average with runners in scoring position.
• Parmley, Robertson and Trey Wimmer have been elected team captains for 2011 by their teammates.
• Wimmer, who started 93 careeer games at first base in 2009 and 2010, returns from injury sustained in 2011.
• Zack Haley, who started 44 games at 2B in 2011, finished the year second on the Flames with a .346 average with runners in scoring position and two outs.
• RHP John Niggli ranked ninth in the Big South Conference with a 3.69 ERA last season.
• Niggli is the only returning Liberty pitcher to have pitched more than 30 innings in 2011.
• RHP Blake Forslund was selected in the 17th round of the 2011 MLB Draft by the Boston Red Sox.
• RHP Josh Richardson, who led the Flames with six saves in 2010, returns from injury sustained in 2011. He is in competition to start at SS, where he played in 15 games and started 11 contests as a freshman.