Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Coastal Carolina
Game Day Central
Complete Game Notes
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
7:06 p.m. vs. Coastal Carolina
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Liberty (16-7, 11-1 Big South) will close out its quick two-game homestand Monday at 7 p.m., when Coastal Carolina (12-9, 5-7 Big South) visits the Vines Center. The Lady Flames will aim to complete a regular-season sweep of the Chanticleers and win their 38th straight game in the head-to-head series against Coastal Carolina.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Liberty has won 37 straight contests against Coastal Carolina, dating back to the 1996-97 season. That is the fourth-longest active winning streak against a single opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball.
2) Coastal Carolina has struggled away from Kimbel Arena this season, going just 1-8 away from home. The Chanticleers have not won outside of Conway since Nov. 22, when they notched a 66-56 victory at Western Carolina.
3) The Chanticleers have lost their last 16 road games at the Vines Center. However, they have come close to ending that streak in recent years. Three of Coastal Carolina's last five setbacks in Lynchburg have been by four or fewer points. Last season, Avery Warley went 4-for-4 from the free throw line, grabbed two rebounds and blocked a shot during the last 85 seconds to preserve the Lady Flames' 58-54 home win over the Chanticleers on Jan. 24, 2011.
4) Liberty will see how it responds from its first double overtime game in more than eight years, a 77-69 victory over Charleston Southern on Saturday. All five of the Lady Flames' starters played 39 or more minutes against the Lady Buccaneers.
5) Lady Flames freshman Reagan Miller will look to continue her torrid shooting of late. In the last four games, she is averaging 15.3 ppg and shooting 58.3 percent (14-of-24) from three-point range. On Saturday against Charleston Southern, Miller scored a career-high 23 points and equaled a career high with five three-pointers. Her triple with 53 seconds left in regulation tied the score and sent the game to overtime.
Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 47-7.
Current Streak: Liberty has won the last 37 meetings.
Coastal Carolina's Last Victory: Coastal Caro. 70, Liberty 55 (Feb. 19, 1996 at CCU)
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 20-4.
Current Streak at Liberty: Liberty has won the last 16 meetings.
Coastal Carolina's Last Victory at Liberty: Coastal 68, Liberty 62 (Jan. 22, 1996)
Last Meeting: Liberty 82, Coastal Carolina 45 (Jan. 14, 2012 at Coastal Carolina)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 58, Coastal Carolina 54 (Jan. 24, 2011)
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 302-101 (13th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Coastal Carolina: 29-0
Coastal Carolina Head Coach: Alan LeForce
Overall Record (Seasons): 214-205 (15th Season)
Record at Coastal Carolina (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 0-34
Notes and Anecdotes
-- Liberty has notched 37 straight wins over Coastal Carolina, marking the Lady Flames' longest winning streak against a single opponent in program history. It is also the fourth-longest active streak against an opponent in NCAA Division I women's basketball (see full list on next page.)
-- Coastal Carolina is a stellar 11-1 at home this season, with the lone loss coming to Liberty on Jan. 14. However, the Chanticleers are only 1-8 away from Conway. Their lone road victory of the year came on Nov. 22 at Western Carolina, by a 66-56 score.
-- The Chanticleers have lost their last 16 games at the Vines Center, but have come close to winning at Liberty in recent years. Three of Coastal Carolina's last five setbacks at Liberty have come by four points or fewer. Last season, the Lady Flames hung on for a 58-54 home win over Coastal Carolina on Jan. 24, 2011, thanks in large part to Avery Warley's four points, two rebounds and blocked shot during the game's final 85 seconds.
-- Liberty head coach Carey Green is quite familiar with Coastal Carolina, graduating from the school in 1977 with a bachelor's degree in marine science.
-- Monday's game will match up a pair of talented freshman point guards who each wear No. 5--Liberty's Reagan Miller and Coastal Carolina's Shatia Cole. Miller scored a career-high 23 points Saturday against Charleston Southern, while Cole is the Chanticleers' leading scorer on the year at 11.6 ppg and a four-time Big South Freshman of the Week.
Among the Nation's Best
The Lady Flames have defeated Coastal Carolina 37 straight times, dating back to Jan. 20, 1997. It marks the fourth-longest active winning streak by a Division I women's basketball squad against a single opponent, through games played on Feb. 12. Below is a look at the other national leaders.
1) Stanford - 53 straight wins over Washington State
2) UC Santa Barbara - 39 straight wins over Cal State Fullerton
3) Tennessee - 38 straight wins over Alabama
4) Liberty - 37 straight wins over Coastal Carolina
5) Duke - 34 straight wins over Georgia Tech
13 x 10
Liberty has won 10 straight games, marking its first 10-game winning streak since Feb. 15-March 14, 2010. This is the 13th 10-game winning streak in program history.
A Look Back at Liberty's Win Over Charleston Southern on Saturday
-- Liberty extended its winning streak to 10 on Saturday during its contest with Charleston Southern inside the Vines Center. However, the Lady Flames had to go to double overtime for the first time since Jan. 6, 2004 to do it, pulling out a 77-69 victory.
-- The Lady Flames, who wrapped up a regular-season sweep of the Lady Buccaneers, have now won their last 18 home games against Charleston Southern.
-- Liberty held Charleston Southern's high-powered offense to 31.9 percent (23-of-72) field goal shooting, marking the 45th straight game the Lady Flames have kept their opponent from shooting 50 percent.
-- The Lady Flames tied a season high with seven three-pointers made, including one by Reagan Miller which tied the score with 53 seconds left in regulation and forced overtime.
-- One game after being outrebounded for the first time in 49 contests, Liberty bounced back with a +30 rebound margin over Charleston Southern (60-30).
-- All five Liberty starters set career highs for minutes played, and all five scored in double figures.
-- Reagan Miller led all players with a career-high 23 points, while tying her career high with five three-pointers made. She tied the program single-game record by playing 48 mintues.
-- Avery Warley pulled down a career-high 23 rebounds, tying the Vines Center record. She also scored 14 points to complete her 10th double-double of the season.
-- Devon Brown's second double-double of the year consisted of 12 points and 10 rebounds.
-- Danika Dale scored nine of her 12 points during the two overtime periods and finished the game with a career-high seven assists.
Liberty had to play double overtime on Saturday before it wrapped up a 77-69 victory over Charleston Southern at the Vines Center. That was notable for several reasons.
-- It was the first time Liberty has played a double overtime game since Jan. 6, 2004 at American.
-- It was the first time Liberty has won an overtime game of any kind since that same game against American, which the Lady Flames won, 76-72.
-- Reagan Miller tied Kristal Tharp's program record for minutes played in a game with 48. Tharp had set her record during the American contest.
-- This is the first season since 2003-04 that Liberty has played multiple overtime games in a year. The 2003-04 Lady Flames had three overtime contests.
Reagan Has Range
-- Freshman Reagan Miller tied her career high with five three-pointers during Saturday's win over Charleston Southern. She became the first Lady Flame with multiple five-triple contests in the same season since Irene Sloof in 2000-01.
-- Miller, shooting 58.3 percent (14-of-24) from long range in the last three games, has hit 41 triples on the year. That's the most by any Lady Flame since Rachel Hammond made 42 triples in 2008-09 and the most by a Liberty freshman since Elena Kisseleva connected on 48 three-pointers in 1996-97.
It's Been a While ...
-- Liberty has not lost to Coastal Carolina since Feb. 19, 1996. Since then, the Lady Flames have won 373 games and 13 Big South championships.
-- When the Chanticleers last defeated the Lady Flames, Bill Clinton was serving his first term as President, "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men was the nation's No. 1 song, "Broken Arrow" was the nation's No. 1 movie and the Dallas Cowboys had recently defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XXX. Lady Flame freshman Ashley Rininger was about two months away from celebrating her third birthday.