Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Women's Tennis Edged by Mountaineers
While the Liberty women's tennis team was able to earn the doubles point, Appalachian State climbed back during singles play to earn a 4-3 victory, Saturday, at the Greenbrier Resort.
The Lady Flames fall to 0-2 to open 2012, while the Mountaineers are now 2-0 in the young season.
The Lady Flames jumped out to a 1-0 lead behind victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches. Sophomores Alexandra Sheeran and Rebekah Jenkins defeated Blakeley Bean and Gisela Fernandez, 8-6, while Carol Lobel and Nicola Wellman took down Kim-Lea Dinh and Jessica Thaggard by the same margin to secure the point.
Four singles matches were decided in straight sets, with Liberty's sole straight-set win being Jenkins' 6-4, 6-2 decision over Gabriela Celi in the No. 4 match.
Two matches needed the final frame to decide a winner, but the Lady Flames only secured one, as freshman Brittany Yang upended Thaggard, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, for the first dual singles win of her collegiate career.
Liberty will host its first match of the 2012 season on Thursday when Richmond visits the Sports Racket. Match time is slated for noon.
Appalachian State 4, Liberty 3
1. Linsell/Ansari (ASU) def. Richard/Yang (LU), 8-6
2. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU) def. Bean/Fernandez (ASU), 8-6
3. Lobel/Wellman (LU) def. Dinh/Thaggard (ASU), 8-6
1. Linsell (ASU) def. Richard (LU), 7-6, 6-4
2. Ansari (ASU) def. Sheeran (LU), 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
3. Yang (LU) def. Thaggard (ASU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Jenkins (LU) def. Celi (ASU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Gabriel (ASU) def. Lobel (LU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Dinh (ASU) def. Wellman (LU), 6-2, 6-3