Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Fall in Season Opener
The Liberty women's tennis team fell to Georgetown, Friday, with the Hoyas claiming a 7-0 victory at the Greenbrier Resort.
The Lady Flames begin the 2012 campaign 0-1, while Georgetown levels its record at 1-1.
The Hoyas came out strong in doubles play, taking the first two matches decisively. Carol Lobel and Nicola Wellman provided the closest doubles match in the No. 3 slot, but Sophie Panarese and Madeline Jaeger claimed the 8-6 victory.
With a 1-0 lead from the doubles point, Georgetown carried its momentum into singles play.
Cameron Richard and Alexandra Sheeran faced tough competitors in their No. 1 and No. 2 singles matches, as the Hoyas' Lauren Greco and Tina Tehrani are currently ranked No. 71 and No. 77, respectively, in the ITA's Women's National Singles Rankings. Both matches went to Georgetown in straight sets.
The Hoyas closed out the sweep by claiming the final four singles matches.
Liberty will look to bounce back quickly, with their next match coming at 5 p.m., Saturday. The Lady Flames will take on Appalachian State in another neutral-site matchup at the Greenbrier Resort.
Georgetown 7, Liberty 0
1. Greco/Comolli (GT) def. Richard/Yang (LU), 8-2
2. Sekely/Tehrani (GT) def. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU), 8-1
3. Panarese/Jaeger (GT) def. Lobel/Wellman (LU), 8-6
1. No. 71 Greco (GT) def. Richard (LU), 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 77 Tehrani (GT) def. Sheeran (LU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Comolli (GT) def. Jenkins (LU), 6-2, 6-1
4 Sekely (GT) def. Wellman (LU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Jaeger (GT) def. Yang (LU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Panarese (GT) def. Lobel (LU), 6-0, 6-3