Flames NewsFlames Home > Football Home > News
Fanning The Flames: Football Notes And Listen To Danny Rocco's Post Game Press Conference
To listen to coach Rocco's post game comments following the Flames 34-20 victory over 24th-ranked Charleston Southern please click here. (To download right click "save target as")
Fanning The Flames
• The Flames ended an 18-game losing streak against I-AA ranked opponents on Saturday as they downed 24th-ranked Charleston Southern. Liberty's last win over a ranked opponent was against 15th-ranked Appalachian State on November 22, 1997, helping Liberty end the season with a 9-2 record.
• Liberty ended Charleston Southern's 14-game winning streak with its 34-20 win over the Buccaneers, a streak the ranked as the second-longest active winning streak amongst I-AA teams coming into the week.
• Liberty snapped a six-game losing streak to Big South Conference opponents as the Flames last win over a league opponent came against VMI (38-17) on November 6, 2004.
• Liberty had 10,823 fans in attendance at the Charleston Southern game, helping the program surpass the school record for home attendance. Liberty finished the year with a home attendance figure of 66,765, bettering the previous record of 55,990 in 1990 (in seven games).
• The Charleston Southern game marked the fourth time this year that Liberty has had over 10,000 fans in attendance at a home game, setting a new school record as the Flames previous best was three games in 1998.
• Liberty currently ranks 14th in the nation in home attendance based upon stadium capacity as the Flames are filling their stadium at 92.73 percent over six home games this year (66,765 fans in total). The Flames averaged 11,128 fans per game at Williams Stadium this year. Liberty also ranks 15th nationally in total home attendance and 29th in average per home game.
• Zach Terrell picked up two more rushing touchdowns on the afternoon against Charleston Southern, giving the sophomore 12 rushing touchdowns on the season. The season mark ranks seventh best in school history and tied for fourth best in league history.
• Wynton Jackson returned a kickoff 80 yards for a touchdown against Charleston Southern on Saturday, giving Liberty its second kickoff return for a touchdown on the season. Liberty is just one of three teams nationally to have returned two kickoffs for a score, while Liberty ranks sixth in the country in kickoff return yardage as the Flames are averaging 24.3 yards per return.
• The Flames have allowed just 140 points this season, which has them ranked ninth nationally in scoring defense (14.0 points per game).
• Liberty needs to hold VMI to less than 36 points next weekend to set a school record for fewest points allowed in a season as the current school record for fewest points allowed was set by the 1979 squad that allowed 176 points en route to a 9-1-1 record.
• Brandon Turner posted his second-straight 100-yard receiving game as the junior caught five passes for 110 yards and a touchdown. Turner became the ninth player in school history to post back-to-back 100-yard games and the first since Trey Miller did so in 1998.
• Manny Rojas led the Flames with 11 tackles on Saturday against the Buccaneers, marking the second-straight week and the 11th time in his career that the senior has finished a game with double figure tackles.
• Liberty ended its home season with a 4-2 record at Williams Stadium this year. Over the Flames' 17-year history of playing football at the on-campus facility, Liberty has finished 14 years with a .500 or better record and a 60-27 overall record (69.0 winning percentage).
• The Flames enter the final game of the year needing just 80 yards to surpass the 2,000 team rushing mark for the fifth time in school history (1,920 yards through 10 games) and for the fourth time in the last five years (also in 2002, 2003 and 2004).