Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Charleston Southern
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off
7 p.m. at Charleston Southern
The Light (90.9 FM WWMC)
Liberty (8-7, 3-1 Big South) will wrap up its South Carolina "Beach Trip" Monday at 7 p.m., when the Lady Flames match up with Charleston Southern (11-5, 4-1 Big South) for the 50th time. The winner of Monday's game will claim sole possession of second place in the Big South Conference standings.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Monday's contest is a key early-season matchup in the Big South Conference, with Charleston Southern ranking second in the conference standings at 4-1 and Liberty close behind in third place at 3-1. The winner of Monday's game at Buccaneer Fieldhouse will take over sole possession of second place in the conference standings, one game behind High Point in the loss column.
2) Liberty and Charleston Southern will be meeting for the 50th time, with the Lady Flames owning a 43-6 advantage in the all-time head-to-head series. Liberty has only played Radford and Coastal Carolina more often in program history. The Lady Flames had won 28 straight contests against the Buccaneers before CSU posted a 54-51 home win over Liberty on Feb. 28, 2011.
3) Monday's game will present an interesting matchup between Charleston Southern's offense, which ranks No. 1 in the Big South at 74.7 ppg, and Liberty's defense, which sits No. 2 in the conference with 57.5 ppg allowed.
4) Similarly, CSU's three-point shooting proficiency will go head-to-head against the Lady Flames' stingy three-point defense. The Lady Buccaneers rank No. 3 in the nation with 9.3 three-pointers made per game. Meanwhile, Liberty is ranked No. 2 in the Big South, allowing opponents to shoot only 27.8 percent from beyond the three-point arc.
5) Avery Warley has fared well against Charleston Southern the last two seasons, recording three double-doubles and averaging 16.0 ppg and 15.8 rpg. The last time she faced the Buccaneers, on Feb. 28, 2011, Warley grabbed a career-high 21 rebounds.
Liberty vs. Charleston Southern At a Glance
Series Record: Liberty leads, 43-6.
Current Streak: Charleston Southern won the last meeting.
Liberty's Last Victory: Liberty 63, Charleston Southern 46 (Jan. 22, 2011 at Liberty)
Series Record at Charleston Southern: Liberty leads, 18-4.
Current Streak at Charleston Southern: Charleston Southern won the last meeting.
Liberty's Last Victory at CSU: Liberty 65, Charleston Southern 52 (Jan. 23, 2010)
Last Meeting: Charleston Southern 54, Liberty 51 (Feb. 28, 2011 at Charleston So.)
Last Meeting at Charleston Southern: Same
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 294-101 (13th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Charleston Southern: 26-1
Charleston Southern Head Coach: Julie Goodenough
Overall Record (Seasons): 282-210 (18th Season)
Record at Charleston Southern (Seasons): 72-95 (Sixth Season)
Record vs. Liberty: 1-10
Notes and Anecdotes
-- Monday's game will be the 50th all-time meeting between Liberty and Charleston Southern. The Lady Flames have only played two opponents (Radford - 56 meetings and Coastal Carolina - 54 meetings) more often in program history.
-- Liberty had won 28 straight games against Charleston Southern before the Buccaneers posted a 54-51 victory over the Lady Flames inside Buccaneer Fieldhouse on Feb. 28, 2011.
-- Charleston Southern owns the top scoring offense in the Big South Conference at 74.7 ppg, while the Lady Flames rank second in the conference in scoring defense at 57.5 ppg.
-- CSU ranks No. 3 nationally with 9.3 made three-pointers per game. Meanwhile, Liberty boasts the No. 2 three-point field goal percentage defense (.278) in the Big South.
-- Monday's contest will feature three of the top five scorers in the Big South Conference. Liberty's Devon Brown ranks second with 17.5 ppg, while CSU's Lakeitha Alston is fourth with 16.3 ppg and CSU's Rachelle Coward is fifth with 16.0 ppg.
-- Avery Warley has notched double-doubles in three of her last four matchups against Charleston Southern, averaging 16.0 ppg and 15.8 rpg during that time. She grabbed a career-high 21 rebounds at CSU during her last contest against the Buccaneers, on Feb. 28, 2011.
-- Liberty scored 90 points during its win over Campbell on Jan. 9, reaching the 90-point plateau for just the fourth time ever in a Big South Conference matchup and the first time since a 94-66 victory at UNC Asheville on Feb. 27, 2010.
-- The Lady Flames followed that performance up with an 82-point outing Saturday at Coastal Carolina. This is the first time since Carey Green's first season as head coach (1999-2000) that Liberty has scored 80 or more points in back-to-back Big South games.
-- That year, the Lady Flames notched an 83-49 win over UNC Asheville on Feb. 12, 2000. Five days later, Liberty beat Winthrop by an 82-42 count.
-- Liberty has now scored 80 or more points five times this season. That is the Lady Flames' most 80-point contests in a year since the 2007-08 squad had six 80-point outings.
Feasting on Free Throws
-- Devon Brown went 9-for-9 from the free throw line during Saturday's game at Coastal Carolina, setting a new career high for free throws made in a single game.
-- Brown has now made 16 consecutive foul shots during her last three games, putting her within striking distance of the school record.
-- Jennifer Fairfax hit a program-record 22 straight free throws over a span of 16 games in 1991.
-- Megan Frazee was the last Lady Flame to make at least 20 consecutive foul shots, hitting 21 in a row in 2008.
-- Liberty has played well in road Big South Conference matchups in recent years, going 78-10 under head coach Carey Green. The Lady Flames have never lost more than two road conference games in a season since Green took over as head coach prior to the 1999-2000 campaign.
-- The Lady Flames, who went 7-1 in Big South road tilts last season, are 2-0 in conference road games in 2011-12.