Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Basketball Home > News
WBB Game Day Central: Campbell
Game Day Central Page
Complete Game Notes
Liberty (6-7, 1-1 Big South) will wrap up a quick two-game Big South homestand Monday at 7 p.m., when the Lady Flames welcome conference newcomer Campbell (9-5, 2-1 Big South) to the Vines Center. The two teams will be meeting for the first time since Nov. 29, 1999.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines
1) Liberty and Campbell have not met since Nov. 29, 1999, when the Lady Camels recorded a 64-59 victory inside the Vines Center. The two teams have not faced off as Big South Conference opponents since Feb. 19, 1994. Liberty and Campbell were Big South rivals for three seasons (1991-92 through 1993-94), with the Lady Flames going 5-3 against the Lady Camels during that time.
2) Both Liberty and Campbell will try to rebound from their first Big South losses of the season. The Lady Flames dropped a 73-69 overtime decision to High Point Saturday at the Vines Center, just a couple hours after the Lady Camels lost 80-70 at Radford.
3) The Lady Flames and Lady Camels are two of the Big South's best defensive and rebounding teams. In field goal percentage defense, Liberty ranks first in the conference (.342) with Campbell second (.355). In three-point field goal percentage defense, Campbell is first (.269) and Liberty sits second (.271). The Lady Flames top the conference in rebound margin at +15.5, while the Lady Camels are second at +4.8.
4) Something has to give inside the Vines Center, as the Lady Flames are 0-3 at home against NCAA Division I opponents this season (3-3 overall) and Campbell is just 1-5 in road games in 2011-12. Liberty has not lost four home games in the same season since the 1995-96 campaign.
5) After setting Liberty's career rebounding record on Saturday, Avery Warley will look to continue her strong play in recent weeks. She has posted four double-doubles in the last five games, averaging 18.2 ppg and 12.8 rpg during that time.
Liberty vs. Campbell At a Glance
Series Record: Campbell leads, 12-7.
Current Streak: Campbell has won the last two meetings.
Liberty's Last Victory: Liberty 85, Campbell 77 (Nov. 25, 1997 at Liberty)
Series Record at Liberty: Liberty leads, 5-4.
Current Streak at Liberty: Campbell won the last meeting.
Liberty's Last Victory at Home: Liberty 85, Campbell 77 (Nov. 25, 1997)
Last Meeting: Campbell 64, Liberty 59 (Nov. 29, 1999 at Liberty)
Last Meeting at Liberty: Same
Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green
Overall Record (Seasons): 292-101 (13th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Campbell: 0-1
Campbell Head Coach: Wanda Watkins
Overall Record (Seasons): 469-383 (31st Season)
Record at Campbell (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 12-7
Notes and Anecdotes
-- Monday's game will be the first meeting between Liberty and Campbell since Nov. 29, 1999, when the Lady Camels posted a 64-59 win at the Vines Center in Carey Green's third game as the Lady Flames' head coach.
-- This will be the first Big South matchup between the Lady Flames and Lady Camels since Feb. 19, 1994. Liberty went 5-3 against Campbell during the three seasons (1991-92 through 1993-94) that both teams were Big South members prior to this year, including 4-2 in regular-season contests and 1-1 in the Big South Championship.
-- Liberty has not defeated Campbell since Nov. 25, 1997. That day, the Lady Flames notched an 85-77 home victory over the Lady Camels, paced by Elena Kisseleva's 35-point outburst. Liberty started the 1997-98 season with 28 straight victories.
-- Liberty and Campbell have only faced one common opponent this season, Radford. The Lady Flames posted a 76-68 win at Radford on Dec. 31, while the Lady Camels lost an 80-70 decision at Radford on Saturday.
-- The Lady Flames and Lady Camels hold down the top two spots in the Big South in field goal percentage defense, three-point field goal percentage defense and rebound margin.
-- Liberty is only 3-3 at home this season, with all three wins coming against non-Division I opponents. Meanwhile, Campbell is just 1-5 in road contests this year.
-- Avery Warley rebounded her own missed shot with 8:03 remaining in the first half of Saturday's game against High Point, giving her 1,034 career boards. That broke Katie Feenstra's (2001-05) Liberty career rebounding record of 1,033 caroms.
-- Warley finished the High Point game with 16 rebounds, giving her 1,047 for her career. That ranks second in Big South Conference history, 80 boards behind former Charleston Southern standout Kate Sanford's (1996-2000) conference record of 1,127 career rebounds.
Closing Out Their Commonwealth Stay
-- Monday's game will be Liberty's eighth straight game in Virginia since returning from the Vanderbilt Thanksgiving Tournament on Nov. 26.
-- After Monday, Liberty will play six of its next eight contests outside Virginia.
A Look Back at Liberty's Overtime Loss to High Point on Saturday
-- Liberty's 73-69 overtime loss to High Point Saturday evening at the Vines Center was just the Lady Flames' second setback in their last 12 Big South home openers.
-- It was Liberty's first overtime contest since Jan. 20, 2007 at High Point.
-- The Lady Flames led by nine points with 6:19 remaining in the second half and by five with 1:06 left, but could not hang on.
-- Liberty outrebounded its 40th straight opponent, enjoying a 57-43 edge on the boards.
-- For the 35th straight game, the Lady Flames held their opponent below 50 percent field goal shooting. High Point ended up at 34.2 percent on the night.
-- Avery Warley broke Katie Feenstra's Liberty career rebounding record when she grabbed an offensive rebound with 8:03 remaining in the first half for her 1,034th career board.
-- Warley finished the game with 19 points and a team-high 16 rebounds, giving her a program-record 1,047 caroms for her career. The double-double was her fifth of the season and her fourth in the last five contests.
-- Devon Brown also scored 19 points, including a pair of three-pointers. She is now in sole possession of 10th place on Liberty's all-time list with 86 made triples in her career.
-- Freshman Catherine Kearney tallied a career-high 13 points, five of which came during overtime. She made her first career three-pointer with 7.5 seconds to play in the extra session.
-- Danika Dale logged a team-high and career-high 40 minutes for the Lady Flames, breaking her previous career high of 33 minutes played, set Dec. 1 against James Madison.
Lack of Overtime
-- Saturday's 73-69 overtime loss to High Point was the Lady Flames' first overtime contest since a 64-62 overtime setback at High Point on Jan. 20, 2007.
-- By contrast, during the time between Jan. 20, 2007 and Saturday, the Liberty men's basketball team played nine overtime games.
-- Liberty's last overtime win came at American on Jan. 6, 2004, 76-72 in double overtime.
It's Been a While ...
Liberty needs to record a victory against Campbell to avoid the following:
-- The Lady Flames are 3-3 at home this season. Liberty has not lost four home games in a single year since going 5-8 at the Vines Center in 1995-96.
-- Liberty has not lost back-to-back Big South Conference games within a single season since Feb. 20-22, 1997, against UNC Greensboro and Winthrop.
It's Been a While, Part 2 ...
-- Liberty has not faced Campbell since Nov. 29, 1999. Since then, the Lady Flames have won 291 games and 10 Big South championships.
-- When Liberty last played Campbell, Bill Clinton was President, "Smooth" by Santana was the nation's No. 1 song, "Toy Story 2" was the nation's No. 1 movie and a gallon of gas cost $1.27. Lady Flame freshman Catherine Kearney was five days away from celebrating her seventh birthday.