Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Presbyterian College
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game will be Carried Live
MASN – Regional Coverage
Game will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
7:05 p.m. vs. Presbyterian College
Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates
After hosting Charleston Southern at nearby Randolph College on Saturday, Liberty steps back into the Vines Center on Monday against Presbyterian College (7-6, 1-2 Big South). The Flames hold a 5-4 record all-time against the Blue Hose and look to remain undefeated against PC inside the Vines Center. Dale Layer's squad hopes to avoid its fourth straight conference loss while attempting to hand the Blue Hose their third of the season. Tipoff for the contest is slated for 7 p.m.
Stepping back into conference play, Saturday, Liberty hosted Charleston Southern inside the Randolph College Physical Education Center, dropping the contest, 81-76.
After taking a six-point lead at halftime, the Buccaneers pulled away with a 14-4 run in the middle of the second half. Liberty tried to erase an 11-point deficit with two minutes left, but Charleston Southern managed to hold off the Flames late surge for the victory.
Liberty falls to 5-10 overall and 0-3 in Big South play. Charleston Southern remains undefeated in conference action (3-0) and moves to 9-4 on the year. The Flames still hold the advantage in the all-time series, 31-21.
Jesse Sanders led Liberty with 20 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists. Saah Nimley posted a game-high 23 points for the Buccaneers, while Kelvin Martin finished with 16 points and 12 boards.
Watch and Listen to the Flames
Liberty's clash with the Blue Hose will be broadcast live on the Liberty Channel and on MASN. Ray Jones will serve as the play-by-play announcer, while Tim Scarborough will handle color commentary. The game will also be video streamed live on the Big South Network.
There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for Saturday's contest, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available.
Series Record: Liberty leads, 5-4
Current Streak: Presbyterian College won the most recent meeting
Liberty Series Record at Home: 4-1
Last Meeting: Presbyterian College 73, Liberty, 66 (Feb. 26, 2011)
Last Meeting at the Vines Center: Liberty 70, Presbyterian College 61 (Dec. 2, 2010)
Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer
Overall Record (Seasons): 310-233 (19th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): 39-39
Record vs. Presbyterian College: 3-1
Presbyterian College Head Coach: Gregg Nibert
Overall Record (Seasons): 369-298 (23rd Season)
Record at PC (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 2-5
Notes and Anecdotes
- Liberty is 4-0 when playing Presbyterian College inside the Vines Center. The last time the Flames lost to the Blue Hose at home was Nov. 20, 1978. PC took the contest inside the Schilling Center, 74-60.
- Jesse Sanders is 11 assists away from breaking the Big South assist record held by Radford's Amir Johnson (604). Sanders is also 15 boards shy of being the 23rd player in conference history to reach 700.
- Liberty is looking to avoid starting the conference season 0-4. The last time the Flames did so was during the 1998-99 season, when Liberty went 4-23 on the year and 0-10 in Big South action.
- Presbyterian College leads the Big South in free throw percentage, shooting 72.1 from the charity stripe.
- The Blue Hose are last in the conference in rebounding offense (29.9) , but second in rebounding defense (31.8).
News and Notes from Liberty's game versus Charleston Southern (Dec. 31)
- Jesse Sanders led Liberty with 20 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists.
- Along with Jesse Sanders' second 20-point performance of the season, four other Flames finished in double-digit scoring figures – David Minaya (16), Antwan Burrus (13), John Caleb Sanders (11) and Tavares Speaks (10). Minaya posted all 16 of his tallies in the second half.
- After taking a six-point lead at halftime, the Buccaneers pulled away with a 14-4 run in the middle of the second half.
- Liberty has won the rebounding battle in its last five contests.
- Jesse Sanders is currently leading the Flames in points (13.1 ppg), rebounds (7.9 rpg) and assists (8.1 apg). Sanders is third in the country in assists and is the only player in the country averaging at least seven rebounds and seven assists per game.
- Sanders has 594 assists for his Liberty career and is currently in second place on Liberty's all-time career assist listing.
- The Flames enters Monday's matchup with a balanced offensive attack, with five players averaging double scoring figures.
- Last season, John Caleb Sanders posted 126 points on the year. The sophomore guard currently has 177 tallies through the first 15 games this season. Sanders' minutes are up dramatically this season. After averaging 12.4 minutes per game in 2010-11, the Sugar Land, Texas native is averaging 25.4 per game, this year.