Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Richmond
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Complete Game Notes
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
7 p.m. vs. Richmond
Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates
Riding a three-game win streak, the Liberty men's basketball team looks to build upon its recent success on Wednesday. The Flames take on Atlantic 10 member and 2011 NCAA Sweet 16 participant Richmond. Liberty is 1-1 all-time against Richmond, having not played the Spiders since earning a 64-61 double overtime win inside the Robins Center.
In addition to the matchup, Jesse Sanders is looking to join an exclusive club, needing just two points to become the 22nd member of Liberty's 1,000-point club. Tipoff for Wednesday's clash with the Spiders is slated for 7 p.m.
The Liberty men's basketball team picked up its third straight win, defeating Montreat, 91-73, last Tuesday inside the Vines Center.
The victory moved the Flames to 5-8 on the season and 7-0 all-time against the Cavaliers.
Jesse Sanders achieved another personal milestone in his storied career at Liberty, setting a new Vines Center record with a career-high 16 assists. Sanders' single-game assist total surpassed TeeJay Banner (2008) and Coastal Carolina's J.J. Foster (1992), who each held the previous mark of 15. Finishing with eight points on the night, the Sugar Land, Texas native needs just two more points to become the 22nd member of Liberty's 1,000-point club.
John Caleb Sanders led Liberty with a career-high 20 points, followed by Antwan Burrus with 14 and Tavares Speaks with 10. Tyler Buff paced the Cavaliers with 16 tallies.
Listen to the Flames
There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for Saturday's contest, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available.
Series Record: Series is tied, 1-1
Current Streak: Liberty won the most recent contest
Liberty Series Record at Richmond: 1-0
Last Meeting: Liberty 64, Richmond 61 (2OT) (Dec. 7, 1999)
Last Meeting at Richmond: Liberty 64, Richmond 61 (2OT) (Dec. 7, 1999)
Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer
Overall Record (Seasons): 309-230 (19th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): 39-37
Record vs. Richmond: 0-0
Richmond Head Coach: Chris Mooney
Overall Record (Seasons): 161-132 (10th Season)
Record at Richmond (Seasons): 119-93 (Seventh Season)
Record vs. Liberty: 0-0
Notes and Anecdotes
- Both contests in the series between Liberty and Richmond have been decided by three points. Neither team has won on its home court in the series.
- Wednesday's contest is not the first time head coaches Dale Layer and Chris Mooney have crossed paths. During Layer's tenure at Colorado State, the Rams squared off with fellow Mountain West Conference member Air Force, who was then coached by Mooney. In Mooney's one year as head coach at Air Force the Falcons swept the Rams, winning 58-53 on Jan. 8, 2005 and 59-47 on Feb. 7,. 2005.
- Richmond's Darius Garrett is currently fifth in the country in blocked shots, averaging 3.9 per game.
- Each team is averaging just over 12 turnovers per game.
- The contest marks the first time the two teams have played in nearly 12 years.
- This will be Dale Layer's first contest against an A-10 squad.
- Liberty is 1-4 all-time against current members of the A-10. The Flames are 0-1 against Duquesne, 1-1 versus Richmond, 0-1 against Saint Louis 0-1 and 0-1 against St. Joseph's (Pa.).
News and Notes from Liberty's game versus Montreat (Dec. 20)
- Jesse Sanders achieved another personal milestone in his storied career at Liberty, setting a new Vines Center record with a career-high 16 assists. Sanders' single-game assist total surpassed Tee Jay Banner (2008) and Coastal Carolina's J.J. Foster (1992), who each held the previous mark of 15.
- Jesse Sanders set the new Vines Center assist record with 5:52 left in the contest. The floor general garnered his 16th assist after dishing it to Gielo, who nailed a jumper to make it 74-50.
- John Caleb Sanders led Liberty with a career-high 20 points, followed by Antwan Burrus with 14 and Tavares Speaks with 10.
- Liberty finished the contest with its second best shooting performance of the season with 53.6 percent shooting (30-of-56).
- The Flames hit a season-high 25 free throws from the charity stripe.
- Freshman Andrew Smith posted the first points of his Liberty career, finishing the contest with six. Smith's night included a highlight reel alley-oop courtesy of a Jesse Sanders assist.
- For the second straight contest, freshman Tomasz Gielo posted nine points.
- Jesse Sanders is looking to become the 22nd member of Liberty's 1,000-point club, needing just two more tallies.
- Jesse Sanders is currently leading the Flames in points (12.5 ppg), rebounds (8.2 ppg) and assists (8.4 apg)
- The Flames enters Wednesday's matchup with a balanced offensive attack, with five players averaging double scoring figures.
- Jesse Sanders is third in the country in assists, averaging 8.4 per game. Sanders is the only player in the country averaging at least seven rebounds and seven assists per game.
- Last season, John Caleb Sanders posted 126 points on the year. The sophomore guard currently has 158 tallies through the first 12 games this season. Sanders' minutes are up dramatically this season. After averaging 12.4 minutes per game in 2010-11, the Sugar Land, Texas native is averaging 25.5 per game, this year.
- Through the first 13 games, Liberty has had seven different starting lineups.
- Jesse Sanders has now made 22 consecutive free throws and has not missed since the first half of Liberty's game against UNC Wilmington. Prior to Sanders' current streak, the last time a Liberty player made 20 consecutive free throws was when Kyle Ohman did so from Nov. 13 to Nov. 24.