Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: Virginia Intermont
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Complete Game Notes
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
7:05 p.m. vs. Virginia Intermont
Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates
The Liberty men's basketball team returns to Vines Center this Saturday to host Virginia Intermont. The Flames are looking to snap a seven game losing streak when they take on the Cobras. Liberty holds a 2-0 record in the all-time series against the Commonwealth competitor, winning most recently on Nov. 12, 2010, 82-65.
Saturday's contest is part of a double header which features the Lady Flames basketball team versus Glenville State at 4 p.m. Tipoff for the men's contest is slated for 7 p.m.
Hosting UNC Wilmington for the first time in program history, the Liberty men's basketball team suffered its seventh consecutive setback, falling to the Seahawks, Tuesday night, 77-68, inside the Vines Center.
With the defeat, the Flames fall to 2-8 on the year. UNCW moves to 2-5 overall and 2-0 in the all-time series versus Liberty. The Flames record marks the first time Liberty has started a season 2-8 since the 2004-05 campaign.
Keith Rendleman blazed the trail for the Seahawks with 29 points, followed by Adam Smith who finished with 18. Jesse Sanders recorded his third double-double of the season, posting 19 points and a season-high 13 rebounds, while adding seven assists. Tavares Speaks and David Minaya concluded the contest as Liberty's other two double-digit scorers, chipping in 16 and 11 points, respectively.
Watch and Listen to the Flames
There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for Saturday's contest, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available. The game will also be video streamed live on the Big South Network.
Series Record: Liberty leads, 2-0
Current Streak: Liberty is on a two fight win streak
Liberty Series Record at the Vines Center: 2-0
Last Meeting: Liberty 82, Virginia Intermont 65 (Nov. 12, 2010)
Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer
Overall Record (Seasons): 306-230 (19th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): 36-37
Record vs. Virginia Intermont: 1-0
Virginia Intermont Head Coach: Scott Hoagland
Overall Record (Seasons): 35-94, (Fifth)
Record at Virginia Intermont (Seasons): Same
Record vs. Liberty: 0-1
Notes and Anecdotes
- Liberty enters Saturday's contest with a 20-8 record all-time against current members of the AAC. The Flames are 9-6 against Bluefield, 2-2 against Bryan, 6-0 against Montreat and 1-0 against Virginia Intermont.
- The Flames and Cobras have one common opponent this season. Liberty defeated Division III member Randolph College on Nov. 11, 81-58, while Virginia Intermont bested the Wildcats four days later, 60-56.
- Virginia Intermont is 2-0 against Lynchburg squads this season, having defeated Randolph College (60-56) and Virginia University of Lynchburg (92-87, OT).
- The Flames face another AAC member on Dec. 20, as they host Montreat at 7 p.m.
- In last year's meeting with the Cobras, Evan Gordon led the Flames with 23 points, followed by John Brown who posted 18 points and 17 rebounds in his Liberty debut.
News and Notes from Liberty's game versus UNC Wilmington (Dec. 6)
- Keith Rendleman posted a game-high 29 points for the Seahawks, marking the second highest scoring total an opposing player has recorded against the Flames, this season (Highest: Lehigh's C.J. McCollum, Nov. 19, 2011).
- Liberty is now 0-2 in the all-time series against UNC Wilmington and 14-39 against CAA teams.
- Entering the night averaging under 12 turnovers per game, Liberty made 17 miscues on the night, tying its season-high (17 vs. Randolph College, Nov. 11).
- Jesse Sanders garnered his third double-double of the season and 12th of his career with a team-leading 19 points and a season-high 13 rebounds. Sanders finished three assists shy of his fourth career triple-double.
- Antwan Burrus finished with eight points to reach 500 for his career.
- The Flames enter Tuesday's matchup with a balanced offensive attack, with only 15 points separating Liberty's top four scorers.
- The last time Liberty started the season 2-8 was the 2004-05 season. Liberty finished the year 13-15 and 11-5 in Big South play.
- The last time Liberty started the season 1-4 was the 1998-99 season. Liberty finished the year 4-23 and 0-10 in Big South play.
- Liberty's seven-game losing skid is the first since the 2006-07 season. The Flames experienced an eight-game setback that year after starting the season 6-1.
- Liberty leads the league with an assist/turnover ratio of 1.20. Individually, Jesse Sanders is No.1 in the Big South with an assist/turnover ratio of 2.30.
- Jesse Sanders is seventh in the country in assists, averaging 7.5 per game. Sanders is the only player in the country averaging at least seven rebounds and seven assists per game.
- During the last seven games, Liberty's opponents have led for an average of 36 minutes. The Flames have led for an average of just under three minutes.
- Last season, John Caleb Sanders posted 126 points on the year. The sophomore guard currently has 109 tallies through the first 10 games this season. Sanders' minutes are up dramatically this season. After averaging 12.4 minutes per game in 2010-11, the Sugar Land, Texas native is averaging 26.1 per game, this year.
- Through the first 10 games, Liberty has had six different starting lineups.
- In Liberty's game versus Campbell (Dec. 1), Joel Vander Pol set career highs in points (20), rebounds (9), free throws made (10) and steals (2).
- Liberty's opponents have shot 50 percent or better from the field in four games this season.