Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Basketball Home > News
MBB Game Day Central: UNC Wilmington
Game Day Central Page
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Complete Game Notes
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage
(WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market)
Game Will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage:
Big South Network
Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off:
7:05 p.m. vs. UNC Wilmington
Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates
The Liberty men's basketball team looks to bounce back from a six-game losing skid, playing host to UNC Wilmington of the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) on Tuesday. The Seahawks enter the matchup 1-5 on the year, picking up their first win of the season on Saturday in a 63-54 road win over Illinois State.
The Flames hope to avenge last season's loss to the Seahawks on Nov. 16, 2010, a 69-64 overtime defeat inside UNC Wilmington's Trask Coliseum. After being down by 17 in the first half, Liberty rallied in the second to take an eight-point lead before heading into the extra period with the Seahawks.
Game time for the rematch inside the Vines Center is slated for 7 p.m.
Playing its third straight contest on the road, the Liberty men's basketball team stepped into Kimbel Arena, Saturday afternoon, to take on Big South preseason No. 2 pick, Coastal Carolina. The Flames hung with the Chanticleers for the majority of the matchup, but the home team managed to pull away down the stretch to earn the 78-68 victory.
With its sixth straight defeat, Liberty falls to 2-7 on the season and 0-2 in Big South play. Coastal Carolina improves to 7-1 overall and 2-0 in conference action.
Chris Gradnigo paced the Chanticleers with 23 points on 8-for-16 shooting from the field and 5-for-9 shooting from behind the three-point arc. Tavares Speaks netted 11 second-half points to lead the Flames with 15.
Watch and Listen to the Flames
Liberty's clash with the Seahawks will be broadcast live on the LIberty Channel. Ray Jones will serve as the play-by-play announcer, while Tim Scarborough will handle color commentary. The game will also be video streamed live on the Big South Network.
There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for Tuesday's contest, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available.
Series Record: UNC Wilmington leads, 1-0
Current Streak: UNC Wilmington won the most recent meeting
Liberty Series Record at the Vines Center: First meeting
Last Meeting: UNC Wilmington 69, Liberty 64 (Nov. 16, 2010)
Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer
Overall Record (Seasons): 306-229 (19th Season)
Record at Liberty (Seasons): 36-36
Record vs. UNC Wilmington: 0-1
UNC Wilmington Head Coach: Buzz Peterson
Overall Record (Seasons): 239-170 (14th Season)
Record at UNC Wilmington (Seasons): 14-23 (Second Season)
Record vs. Liberty: 5-0
Notes and Anecdotes
- Antwan Burrus led Liberty with 16 points against the Seahawks last season, scoring 14 in the second half.
- The Seahawks are coming off their first win of the season, defeating Illinois State on the road, Saturday, 63-54.
- Liberty's overtime contest with the Seahawks last season snapped a 45 game streak without an extra period.
- The Flames were down 17 points in the first half last year, before erasing the deficit and taking an eight point lead in the second half.
- Liberty enters the contest 1-2 against CAA teams this season and 15-37 all-time. The Flames were most recently defeated by Georgia State (72-50, Nov. 26).
- As head coach at Coastal Carolina (2005-07), Buzz Peterson went 4-0 against the Flames.
- Dale Layer is 3-6 all-time against current CAA teams.
News and Notes from Liberty's game versus Coastal Carolina (Dec. 3)
- With the defeat, Liberty is now 25-23 all-time against Coastal Carolina. The Chanticleers are currently on a five-game win streak against the Flames.
- Liberty held its largest lead in six games, jumping out to a six-point lead in the early minutes of the contest.
- Despite Coastal Carolina entering the contest leading the conference in rebounding (43.4), Liberty managed to outrebound the Chanticleers, 37-35. Coastal Carolina came into the matchup averaging almost nine more boards than the Flames.
- For the third consecutive game, Liberty allowed its opponent to shoot over 50 percent in the opening stanza. The Chanticleers hit 17-of-32 shots from the field (53.1 percent) in the first half.
- With 10 helpers in the contest, Jesse Sanders surpassed Kenny Gunn for third all-time on Liberty's career assist list. The senior floor general now has 540 for his career.
- Liberty is averaging just fewer than 12 turnovers this season. The Flames have only committed more than 12 turnovers in one game this season, giving up 17 turnovers against Randolph College on Nov. 11.
- The Flames enter Tuesday's matchup with a balanced offensive attack, with only 12 points separating Liberty's top four scorers.
- Jesse and John Caleb Sanders enter Tuesday's game with an identical point total on the season, (101 points, 11.2 ppg).
- The last time Liberty began the season 2-7 was during the 2001-02 campaign. The Flames went 5-25 on the year and 2-12 in Big South Conference play.
- Liberty's six-game losing skid is the first since the 2006-07 season. The Flames experienced an eight-game setback that year after starting the season 6-1.
- Liberty leads the league with an assist/turnover ratio of 1.28. Individually, Jesse Sanders is No.1 in the Big South with an assist/turnover ratio of 2.62.
- Jesse Sanders is fifth in the country in assists, averaging 7.6 per game. Sanders is the only player in the country averaging at least seven rebounds and seven assists per game.
- During the last six games, Liberty's opponents have led for an average of 36 minutes. The Flames have led for an average of just under three minutes.
- Last season, John Caleb Sanders posted 126 points on the year. The sophomore guard currently has 101 tallies through the first nine games this season. Sanders' minutes are up dramatically this season. After averaging 12.4 minutes per game in 2010-11, the Sugar Land, Texas native is averaging 26.7 per game, this year.
- Through the first nine games, Liberty has had six different starting lineups.
- In Liberty's game versus Campbell (Dec. 1), Joel Vander Pol set career highs in points (20), rebounds (9), free throws made (10) and steals (2).
- Liberty's opponents have shot 50 percent or better from the field in four games this season.
- The last time Liberty started the season 1-3 at home was the 2004-05 season. Liberty finished the year 13-15 and 11-5 in Big South play.