Flames Home > Field Hockey Home > News

Lady Flames' Win Streak Snapped by Colonials

September 18, 2011
|  Moon Township, Pa.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

Freshman Meghan Johnson fired three of the Lady Flames' six shots on the afternoon.

The Liberty field hockey team had its three-game win streak snapped, Sunday, dropping a 1-0 decision to Northeast Conference opponent Robert Morris.  The hosting Colonials scored in the 17th minute of the game, for what would prove to be the game winner.

Liberty's record levels at 3-3, while Robert Morris improves to 5-4 with its third-straight win in its final contest of a five-game home stand.

The Colonials were coming off a pair of overtime wins in back-to-back days, defeating No. 15 Ohio, 1-0, Friday, and Lindenwood, 3-2, Saturday.

The Robert Morris offense pressured Liberty's defense early in the game, earning three penalty corner opportunities in less than two minutes. However, the Lady Flames denied the Colonials a chance to strike a shot.

Liberty freshman Abby Batdorf posted a shot on target just under the eight-minute mark, but Robert Morris goalkeeper, Erin McKenzie made one of her two saves on the day.

The Colonials then found the back of the cage at the 16:25 mark, as they attempted their third penalty corner in another six-minute span.

Chantele Crow notched her first goal of the year, with two players having a hand in the assist. Taleah Scott entered the ball on the penalty corner, while Michelle Lewthwaite served as the stick stop on the play to assist in the scoring effort.

Robert Morris continued the attack over the following ten minutes, posting five more shots.  Liberty goalkeeper Ann Jefferis kept the Lady Flames' in striking distance, though, saving each of the four shots which were on goal.

Liberty was able to control the final five minutes of play in the first half, posting three more shots and having two penalty corner opportunities. Meghan Johnson fired off two of the attempts, but McKenzie once again held the visitors scoreless.

The Colonials' Crow finished the first half with another shot attempt in the closing seconds, but Jefferis was able to secure the save.

In the second half, the Lady Flames earned six penalty corner opportunities, but could not manage to post a shot on target. Team scoring leader Helen Doolittle and Johnson each posted shots, but they sailed wide, as the Colonials held on for the 1-0 shutout.

After allowing nine shots in the opening 35-minutes of play, the Lady Flames only gave up two shots in the second half. Jefferis added one save late in the game, ending the afternoon with six saves.

Liberty was outshot 11-6 during the contest. Despite giving up eight penalty corners to the Colonials in the opening half, the Lady Flames ended the game with just one less corner opportunity, 9-8.

"We started the game flat today and it resulted in too many penalty corners and a goal in the first half.  In the second half, I was pleased with our response that we put forth.  We out-cornered Robert Morris, but we need to capitalize on our opportunities," stated head coach Jodi Murphy.

The Lady Flames return to the field on Thursday evening, when they travel to Harrisonburg, Va., to match up with Eastern Mennonite. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m.