Flames NewsFlames Home > Football Home > News
Fanning The Flames: Football Notes And Listen To Danny Rocco's Post Game Press Conference
To listen to coach Rocco's post game comments following the Flames 14-13 loss against William & Mary please click here. (To download right click "save target as")
Fanning The Flames
• Liberty recorded a school and Big South Conference record for home attendance on Saturday as 15,631 fans saw the Flames' Homecoming game against William & Mary. Liberty's previous school record for highest home attendance was 12,623 against Charleston Southern (October 3, 1998) and the previous conference high was 12,273 fans that saw Liberty's come-from-behind victory over VMI (October 4, 2003).
• Liberty now holds eight of the Top 10 single game attendance figures in Big South Conference history, including the top seven tallies.
• The William & Mary-Liberty game was the 10th highest attended game this week nationally in NCAA I-AA football.
• Liberty currently ranks 13th in the nation in home attendance based upon stadium capacity as the Flames are filling their stadium at 98.89 percent over the first three home games of the year (35,600 fans in total). Liberty also ranks 23rd nationally in total home attendance and 25th in average per home game (11,867).
• The Big South Conference currently has three teams ranked in the Top 15 nationally in attendance based upon capacity (also Coastal Carolina at third and Charleston Southern at seventh).
• Rashad Jennings posted his second-best rushing total of the year with 186 yards on 22 carries (8.5 average), doing all the damage in just over two quarters as he was injured on his first carry of the third quarter.
• Rashad Jennings' only rush of the third quarter was a 62-yard run that helped put the Flames in scoring position to take a lead. The 62-yard scamper was the longest non-touchdown run in Big South Conference history.
• Rashad Jennings' 186 rushing yards moved him up two spots nationally as the sophomore now ranks 11th in the country in rushing yards per game (127.2).
• The 14 points that Liberty allowed against William & Mary marked the second-highest opponent total this year (most by Wake Forest at 34 points). Liberty currently ranks fourth in the nation in scoring defense as the Flames are allowing just 10.83 points per game.
• Wynton Jackson led all Liberty receivers against William & Mary on Saturday with five catches for 51 yards, giving him 977 receiving yards in his career. Two weeks ago, Jackson's fellow wide receiver Brandon Turner surpassed the 1,000 career receiving mark as he stands with 1,002 career receiving yards.
• Manny Rojas led the Flames as he tied a season high with nine tackles against William & Mary, giving him 308 career tackles which ties the previous Big South Conference career record held by VMI's Justin Haggard. Coastal Carolina's linebacker Jamar Leath finished the VMI game this weekend with 13 tackles and currently holds the conference record with 321 career tackles.
• Manny Rojas also led the Flames with a career-high four quarterback hurries, giving the linebacker five quarterback hurries on the year which ranks third in the Big South Conference.
• Jason Horn missed his first game since joining the Flames last year due to an injury suffered during practice last Wednesday, snapping a 16-game starting streak. Horn currently ranks fifth in the nation in sacks (1.00 per game) and sixth in tackles for a loss (1.70 per game).
• Liberty opens Big South Conference action this weekend when they host Gardner-Webb at Williams Stadium. Since starting league play in 2002, Liberty has posted a 2-2 record in conference openers.