Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Men Fall to Radford
The Liberty men's tennis team fell to a streaking No. 65 Radford squad, Saturday afternoon, 7-0, in a Big South matchup. The contest was completed at the Burrows Burleson Tennis Center on the campus of Virginia Tech after threatening storms moved the matches inside. The doubles matches were played at the RU Tennis Courts.
Liberty falls to 8-9 with the loss and 1-3 in Big South matches, while Radford extends its program-best win streak to 13 matches. Overall, Radford is 17-3, and the Highlanders are 4-1 in conference play.
In doubles action, the Highlanders jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead, as they swept the three matches. Liberty's No. 3 duo of Tristan Stayt and Mandeep Yadev came close to coming out on top in their match, but were edged by a 9-8 margin.
The Highlanders continued their momentum through the singles contests, taking each of the six matches. Five contests were completed in straight-sets.
Siim Tuus nearly gave the Flames a win in the lead match, but was narrowly outlasted in the rally-scored final set. After the Liberty sophomore dropped the opening frame, 6-4, he bounced back to claim the second set with a 6-4 score in his favor. In the final stanza, Radford's Ivan Salec claimed the win, 10-8.
The Flames turn around quickly, as they host their senior day match tomorrow at 1 p.m. when Big South Conference foe Coastal Carolina comes to town.
Radford 7, Liberty 0
1. Salec/Dehaen (RU) def. Tuus/Wirth (LU) 8-4
2. Meulemans/Ogrizek (RU) def. Lemmi/Thomas (LU) 8-5
3. Sayer/Mills (RU) def. Stayt/Yadav (LU) 9-8
1. Salec (RU) def. Tuus (LU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
2. Sayer (RU) def. Stayt (LU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Mills (RU) def. Thomas (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Ogrizek (RU) def. Lemmi (LU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Meulemans (RU) def. Yadav (LU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Dehaen (RU) def. Wirth (LU) 6-0, 6-1