Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Singles Performances Surge Flames' 4-3 Win
Despite dropping the doubles point, the Liberty men's tennis team captured four victories in singles play on its way to a 4-3 win over Longwood, Tuesday afternoon, at the Hershey-Esbenshade Tennis Courts.
The win evens the Flames' record at 8-8 and keeps them unbeaten at home, where they hold a 2-0 record. The Lancers fall to 5-7 with the road loss.
The visitors scored the first point up for grabs on the afternoon, with the Flames winning just one doubles match. Tristan Stayt and Mandeep Yadev defeated Milo Barajas-Alexander and Edward Becker, 8-5, in the No. 3 match.
Liberty's men quickly claimed the lead in singles action, behind straight-set wins from Yadev, Giancarlo Lemmi and Stanislav Vaughan. Yadev won his No. 5 contest, defeating Barajas-Alexander, 6-4, 6-1, while Lemmi defeated Jimmy Davis in the No. 4 slot, 6-2, 6-2 for his team-leading ninth win of the season. Vaughan gave the Flames a 3-1 advantage with his 6-4, 6-1 win over Becker in the No. 6 match.
After Longwood picked up the victory at No. 3 singles, sophomore Siim Tuus provided the clinching match, as he took down Marc Ferrigno, 6-1, 7-6 (4) in the No. 2 contest.
The Lancers wrapped up the dual by winning the lead match, setting the final score of 4-3 in favor of the Flames.
The Flames return to action this weekend with a pair of Big South matches. On Saturday, the men travel to Radford for a 2 p.m. match, while they will wrap up the week by hosting Coastal Carolina at 1 p.m., Sunday.
Liberty 4, Longwood 3
1. Ferrigno/Davis (Longwood) def. Tuus/Wirth (Liberty) 8-6
2. Tanaka/Lesser (Longwood) def. Lemmi/Thomas (Liberty) 8-4
3. Stayt/Yadav (Liberty) def. Barajas-Alexander/Becker (Longwood) 8-5
1. Tanaka (Longwood) def. Stayt (LU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
2. Tuus (Liberty) def. Ferrigno (Longwood) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
3. Lesser (Longwood) def. Thomas (Liberty) 7-5, 6-1
4. Lemmi (Liberty) def. Davis (Longwood) 6-2, 6-2
5. Yadav (Liberty) def. Barajas-Alexander (Longwood) 6-4, 6-1
6. Vaughan (Liberty) def. Becker (Longwood) 6-4, 6-1