Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Take Commonwealth Clash
The Liberty women's tennis team rolled off its sixth-straight win, Tuesday afternoon, defeating Commonwealth opponent Longwood by a score a 5-2 at the Hershey-Esbenshade Tennis Courts.
The win ups the Lady Flames' record to 11-6, including a 4-2 mark in matches on Liberty Mountain. Longwood falls to 3-6 on the season with the defeat.
The Liberty women jumped out to a 1-0 lead by sweeping the doubles matches. Carol Lobel and Valeriya Klintsevich wrapped up their No. 3 match first, taking down Hannah Hill and Nicole Parker, 8-2. Jordan Jenkins and Hannah Fick then took down Marta Pinyol and Zsofia Jakab, 8-3 in the No. 1 matchup, while Cameron Richard and Alexandra Sheeran defeated Bethany Law and Allison Shulman, 8-6 in the No. 2 contest.
In singles, the Lady Flames quickly pushed their edge to 2-0 behind a 6-3, 6-0 win from Sheeran in the No. 3 position over Veronika Bohm.
Longwood then posted its first point of the afternoon by winning the lead match. However, Lobel added another straight-set victory for the home team, winning 6-2, 6-3 over Shulman in the No. 4 slot.
The Lancers added their second win of the day at No. 2 singles, where Richard's seven-match singles win streak was snapped. Meanwhile, Annisha Domenech and Klintsevich wrapped up the match with victories at the No. 5 and No. 6 positions, respectively. Despite dropping the opening set, 6-2, Domenech bounced back for sets of 6-1, 6-0 to defeat Sarah Moomau. Similarly, Klintsevich fell behind after dropping the first set, 6-3. She would rebound as well, notching sets of 6-4, 6-2 to add to the Lady Flames' final 5-2 tally.
Liberty returns to action tomorrow, as they travel to take on Radford in a Big South Conference contest. Action is slated to get underway at 2 p.m.
Liberty 5, Longwood 2
1. J. Jenkins/Fick (LU) def. Pinyol/Jakab (Longwood) 8-3
2. Richard/Sheeran (LU) def. Law/Shulman (Longwood) 8-6
3. Lobel/Klintsevich (LU) def. Hill/Parker (Longwood) 8-2
1. Jakab (Longwood) def. Fick (Liberty) 6-3, 6-4
2. Pinyol (Longwood) def. Richard (Liberty) 6-4, 6-2
3. Sheeran (Liberty) def. Bohm (Longwood) 6-3, 6-0
4. Lobel (Liberty) def. Shulman (Longwood) 6-2, 6-3
5. Domenech (Liberty) def. Moomau (Longwood) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. Klintsevich (Liberty) def. Law (Longwood) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2