Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Men's Win Streak Ends at Five
Despite Liberty sweeping the doubles matches, Georgia Southern won four of the six singles contests to seal the come-from-behind victory, ending the Flames' five-match win streak in Statesboro, Ga., Thursday afternoon.
The Flames (7-7) started strongly, winning each doubles match handily against Georgia Southern (8-5).
In the No. 1 match, Siim Tuus and Benjamin Wirth rolled off their eighth-consecutive win as a duo, knocking off Alain Garrido and Marco Osorio, 8-4. Giancarlo Lemmi and Shea Thomas won their fourth-straight doubles contest at No. 2, defeating Edio Castanhel and Melian Puigventos, 8-3. In the final doubles contest, Tristan Stayt and Mandeep Yadev took down Sebastien Felt and Matthijs Verdam, 8-3.
In singles play, Tuus retired in his No. 1 match, giving Puigventos the win.
Georgia Southern took the No. 2 and No. 3 matches, respectively, while Lemmi and Yadev responded in the No. 4 and No. 5 matches. Lemmi defeated Felt in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 4 match. Meanwhile, Yadev bested Castanhel, 6-3, 7-6 (2) to take his contest in straight sets as well.
Georgia Southern wrapped things up in the No. 6 match, with Mark Paetz defeating Stanislav Vaughan, 7-6, 6-2.
The Flames are back in action on March 23, when they travel to James Madison for a 2 p.m. match.
Georgia Southern 4, Liberty 3
1. Tuus/Wirth (LU) def. Garrido/Osorio(GSU) 8-4
2. Lemmi/Thomas (LU) def. Castanhel/Puigventos (GSU) 8-3
3. Stayt/Yadav (LU) def. Felt/Verdam (GSU) 8-3
1. Puigventos (GSU) def. Tuus (LU) 6-0, 2-0, retired
2. Verdam (GSU) def. Thomas (LU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Garrido (GSU) def. Stayt (LU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Lemmi (LU) def. Felt (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Yadav (LU) def. Castanhel (GSU) 6-3, 7-6
6. Paetz (GSU) def. Vaughan (LU) 7-6, 6-2