Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Singles Play Propels Lady Flames to Win
Despite New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) grabbing the doubles point, the Lady Flames won each of the six singles matches, Wednesday morning, allowing Liberty to wrap up its Spring Break play in Orlando with a 6-1 victory.
The duo of Carol Lobel and Valeriya Klintsevich were the only Lady Flames to pick up a doubles victory, defeating Martina Tripinuci and Ksenia Kuzmenko, 8-5 in the No. 2 matchup. The two victories by NJIT allowed them to take a 1-0 lead in the overall match.
Singles play provided a different story, though, with the Lady Flames winning all six singles matches.
Seniors Jordan Jenkins and Hannah Fick once again led off at No. 1 and No. 2 for the Liberty women. Jenkins won her eighth match of the season with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Kuzmenko, while Fick picked up her second win in a row, downing Nina Mayevska, 6-4, 6-3.
The next two positions were filled by freshmen Cameron Richard and Alexandra Sheeran. Richard produced a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Monika Graff at the No. 3 match for her fourth win in a row. Sheeran then used a tiebreak victory in the opening set, 7-6 (5), to fuel a 6-3 second set to clinch the victory at No. 4, equaling Richard's four-match winning streak.
Lobel and Annisha Domenech rounded out the straight-set sweep of singles with wins in the final two spots. Lobel defeated Hannelore MacDonald, 6-4, 6-2, while Domenech downed Ana Lidon, 6-2, 6-2.
The Lady Flames' next contest comes on Saturday afternoon, when Charleston Southern travels to Liberty Mountain for a Big South matchup. Start time is 1 p.m.
Liberty 6, NJIT 1
1. Mayevska/Luste (NJIT) def. Richard Sheeran (NJIT) 8-9 (4)
2. Lobel/Klintsevich (LU) def. Tripinuci/Kusemko (NJIT) 8-5
3. Graff/Lidon (NJIT) def. Domenech/Boda (NJIT) 8-0
1. J. Jenkins (LU) def. Kuzmenko (NJIT) 6-3 6-4
2. Fick (LU) def. Mayevska (NJIT) 6-4 6-3
3. Richard (LU) def. Graff (NJIT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Sheeran (LU) def. Luste (NJIT) 7-6 (5), 6-3
5. Lobel (LU) def. MacDonald (NJIT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Domenech (LU) def. Lidon (NJIT) 6-2, 6-2