Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Streak Moves to Five with Flames' Win Over NJIT
The Liberty men's tennis team extended its winning streak to five on Wednesday, defeating New Jersey Institute of Technology, 7-0, during the team's final Spring Break match in Orlando, Fla.
The Flames (7-6) opened the match by taking the doubles point, only allowing the Highlanders (5-7) to win six games between the three doubles matches. Siim Tuus and Benjamin Wirth won at No. 1, 8-2, over Ike Kiro and Martin Cederquist. Giancarlo Lemmi and Shea Thomas defeated Joao Tasca and Petr Rousor, 8-1 in the second doubles matchup, while Tristan Stayt and Mandeep Yadev took down Fraser Croad and Bryan Keelan, 8-3, in the No. 3 spot.
Liberty continued its strong play in singles action, taking each of the six contests. Tuus beat out Rouser, 6-3, 6-4 in the lead singles match, while Stayt defeated Tasca with a pair of 6-4 sets in the No. 2 match.
In the No. 3 pairing, Thomas' opponent, Kiro, retired. Thomas held a 5-0 lead in the first set at the time. Lemmi and Yadev provided strong performances at the No. 4 and No. 5 slots, respectively. Lemmi outdid Croad, 6-1, 6-2, while Yadev defeated Dan Salomon, 6-3, 6-1. Stanislav Vaughn rounded out the sweep for the Flames, as the freshman defeated Cederqvist, 6-3, 6-3.
With action in Orlando, Fla., having wrapped up with today's match, the Flames now meet up with Georgia Southern tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m.
Liberty 7, NJIT 0
1. Tuus/Wirth (LU) def. Kiro/Cederquist (NJIT) 8-2
2. Lemmi/Thomas (LU) def. Tasca/Rousor (NJIT) 8-1
3. Stayt/Yadav (LU) def. Croad/Keelan (NJIT) 8-3
1. Tuus (LU) def. Rousor (NJIT) 6-3, 6-4
2. Stayt (LU) def. Tasca (NJIT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Thomas (LU) def. Kiro (NJIT) 5-0, ret.
4. Lemmi (LU) def. Croad (NJIT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Yadav (LU) def. Salomon (NJIT) 6-3, 6-1
6. Vaughan (LU) def. Cederquist (NJIT) 6-3, 6-3