Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Fall in Big South Opener
The Liberty women's tennis team dropped its opening Big South match of the season on Saturday morning, with No. 66 Winthrop claiming the 7-0 victory at the Memorial Courts in Rock Hill, S.C.
The loss drops the Lady Flames' record to 3-4 and 0-1 in the Big South. Winthrop, who was voted to finish first in the conference in the preseason poll, improves to 8-7 overall and 1-0 in the Big South.
The Lady Eagles opened by sweeping the Lady Flames in doubles to earn the point for the match. Hannah Fick and Rebekah Jenkins provided the closest doubles match for Liberty, dropping an 8-5 decision to Andressa Garcia and Elizaveta Zaytseva at the No. 3 position.
Jordan Jenkins then provided the nearest victory in singles play for the Lady Flames, taking her No. 1 contest to three sets. Jenkins claimed the opening set, 6-4, but Yasmine Alkema fought back to square the match with a 6-1 victory in the second set. In the deciding frame, Alkema won, 6-4, to round out the sweep.
The Lady Flames are on the road again tomorrow, as they hit the courts against Charlotte at 1 p.m.
Winthrop 7, Liberty 0
1. Alkema/Wilkinson (WU) def. J. Jenkins/Richard (LU) 8-3
2. Portioli/Herrera (WU) def. Lobel/Sheeran (LU) 8-2
3. Garcia/Zaytseva (WU) def. Fick/R. Jenkins (LU) 8-5
1. Alkema (WU) def. J. Jenkins (LU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Zaytseva (WU) def. Fick (LU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Herrera (WU) def. Sheeran (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Portioli (WU) def. Richard (LU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Garcia (WU) def. Lobel (LU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Abutovic (WU) def. R. Jenkins (LU) 6-4, 6-2