Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Drop Match with UNC Wilmington, 7-0
The Liberty men's tennis team fell to UNC Wilmington on Sunday afternoon, with the hosting Seahawks sweeping the Flames 7-0.
The Flames' second-consecutive loss drops their record to 1-3 on the season. The victory by the Seahawks improves their mark to 3-1, including a 2-0 record while competing on the UNCW Courts.
Liberty struggled in the doubles matches, only managing to win seven games in the three contests. The Flames combination of Giancarlo Lemmi and Tristan Stayt had the closest match at No. 2 doubles, losing 8-4 to Ilia Ziamtsov and Kosta Blank.
In singles, the Seahawks momentum continued, taking each of the six matches. Siim Tuus pushed his match in the No. 1 position to three sets but was denied the victory. After dropping the opening set, 6-0, Tuus forced a deciding set by taking the second, 7-6. Kinshuk Sharma then claimed the final set, 6-3 to finish UNC Wilmington's sweep.
Freshman Piotr Kruk nearly took the opening set against Rafael Aita in the No. 5 slot in the lineup, falling by a slim margin of 7-6. Aita took the second set 6-3 to take the straight set match.
The Flames are back on the courts tomorrow, finishing their North Carolina road trip with a match in Buies Creek, N.C., against Campbell.
UNC Wilmington 7, Liberty 0
1. Sharma/Cooprider (UNCW) def. Tuus/Kruk 8-1
2. Siamtsov/Blank (UNCW) def. Lemmi/Stayt 8-4
3. Pereira/Mol (UNCW) def. Yadev/Vaughan 8-2
1. Sharma (UNCW) def. Tuus (LU) 6-0, 6-7, 6-3
2. Pereira (UNCW) def. Stayt (LU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Blank (UNCW) def. Lemmi (LU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Ziamtsov (UNCW) def. Yadev (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Aita (UNCW) def. Kruk (LU) 7-6, 6-3
6. Mol (UNCW) def. Wirth (LU) 6-1, 6-0