Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Men's Tennis Falls to Appalachian State
The Liberty men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to Appalachian State Friday evening at the Deer Valley Club in Boone, N.C.
Liberty's record drops to 1-2. The match was Appalachian State's season opener, giving them a 1-0 record.
Appalachian State began the contest by taking the doubles point. Alain Humblet and Philip Kloc handed Siim Tuus and Stanislav Vaughan an 8-4 loss in the No. 1 doubles matchup while Sebastien King and Ezekiel Sansing gave Mandeep Yadev and Piotr Kruk their first doubles loss of the season at No. 3.
Giancarlo Lemmi and Tristan Stayt picked up the victory at No. 2 doubles, beating Alex Markov and Andrew McKinnon, 8-6.
Appalachian State continued their strong play in singles, earning victories in all six matches. The Flames were able to send one match to a third set breaker, but fell just short.
After taking the first set, 6-1, Stanislav Vaughan dropped the second to Matt Saltsgaver, 6-3. In the third set break, Saltsgaver outlasted Vaughan 10-6 to pick up the win.
The Flames return to action in just over a week as they will face UNC Wilmington on Feb. 13 in Wilmington, N.C.
Appalachian State 7, Liberty 0
1. Humblet/Kloc (ASU) def. Tuus/Vaughan (LU) 8-4
2. Lemmi/Stayt (LU) def. Markov/McKinnon (ASU) 8-6
3. King/Sansing (ASU) def. Kruk/Yadev (LU) 8-5
1. Humblet (ASU) def. Tuus (LU) 6-0, 7-5
2. Markov (ASU) def. Stayt (LU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Kloc (ASU) def. Kruk (LU) 6-2, 6-2
4. McKinnon (ASU) def. Yadev (LU) 6-2, 6-4
5. King (ASU) def. Lemmi (LU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Saltsgaver (ASU) def. Vaughan (LU) 1-6, 6-3, 10-6